What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

John Fogerty & Family - Fogerty’s Factory

9 Likes

Herbie Hancock Inventions & Dimensions
2019 Blue Note / Japan UHQCD / Limited edition / UCCQ9444

12 Likes

Alice Merton - Mint
CD rip|2019

Indie pop.

5 Likes

Gorillaz - G-Sides. CD rip. Even the outtakes are fabulous. Eagerly awaiting the new album in February.

8 Likes

On vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes: :grin: :+1:

6 Likes

Tom Misch Geography / 2018 Beyond The Groove / EU CD / BTG020CD

4 Likes

Pretty much exactly that X) As I said though, I’ll live :slight_smile:

This forum has been great for introducing me to new music, it has transformed my listening and appreciation of music I’d never have come across otherwise 8)

1 Like

I remember getting this in my youth, it takes me back and I’m still very fond of it. NB play loud!

14 Likes

Thanks for another perspective Wren! I think in the grand scheme of artists to be wary of, it doesn’t sound like alarm bells ought to sound too loudly for someone who read a book by the fellow.

Hopefully the extremities of the Naim forum membership are relatively innocuous :wink:

Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Chris Barber & Dr John - Mardi Gras At The Marquee

A special concert to mark the 60th Anniversary of the club back in the eighties. Trad Jazz, Blues and Mac’s New Orleans grooves

Streaming but theres a vinyl re issue from MOV
:heart:

3 Likes

A classic old Pink Floyd boot, first issued in 1972, and containing outtakes from Zabriskie Point (1969) plus live tracks from May 1970.

8 Likes

As the great U Roy would toast, live the life you love…love the life you live
:heart:

2 Likes

Porcupine Tree - Signify, on vinyl… :notes: :+1: :grin:

12 Likes

I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed them. As for others, neither Kleiber père nor fils were prolific recording artists, so the choice is not wide.

Most of Erich Kleiber’s recordings were reissued in a big Decca box a few years back. Assume that all EK’s recordings are on the Decca label. They include Beethoven symphonies with the Vienna PO, the Third (‘Eroica’) and Fifth, and the Sixth (‘Pastoral’) and Seventh with the Amsterdam Concertgebouw, and back to Vienna for the Ninth (‘Choral’).

There is a wonderful (very early stereo, I think) recording of Mozart’s ‘Marriage of Figaro’ in 1955 to mark the bicentenary of Mozart’s birth. And EK made the first ever complete recording of Richard Strauss’s ‘Der Rosenkavalier’

There are other EK recordings (mainly mono, off-air radio tapings) of works such as Beethoven’s ‘Fidelio’, Weber’s ‘Freischütz’ and Strauss family waltzes. And there must be others which I can’t bring to mind now.

Erich Kleiber emigrated from Germany with his American wife Ruth and a young family (Carlos and his elder sister Veronika) in the 1930s to South America, escaping the Nazis who were coming to power in Germany. Notoriously, Erich forbade Carlos to follow him into the music profession, and Carlos was sent to Switzerland to study Chemistry. The draw to music was strong, and Carlos started conducting in opera houses in post-war Germany under the pseudonym Karl Keller.

Remarkably, Decca’s Head of A&R John Culshaw (not the ventriloquist/comedian!) tried to persuade Carlos Kleiber to conduct Decca’s famous Wagner ‘Ring’, but CK declined and the then-unknown Georg Solti got the gig, starting in (about) 1958.

Carlos Kleiber’s recording career started in Dresden with the Staatskapelle in Weber’s ‘Freischūtz’ (1973). He made (sadly, very few other) symphonic recordings in Vienna with the Philharmonic, Beethoven’s Fifth (1975) and Seventh (1976), Schubert’s Third and Eighth (‘Unfinished’) (1979) and Brahms’s Fourth (DGG’s first digital recording, 1981, I think).

There were a few other opera recordings. He recorded Strauss’s ‘Die Fledermaus’ and Verdi’s ‘La Traviata’ in Munich (both 1979 or thereabouts).

His last opera was back to Dresden for a sublime, orgiastic (digital) recording of Wagner’s ‘Tristan Und Isolde’ with René Kollo and the Welsh soprano Margaret Price (a close friend and neighbour of Kleiber’s from Munich) in the title parts, with Fischer-Dieskau in the strong supporting cast. Kleiber had a huge falling out with the DGG producers during the ‘Tristan’ recording, and stormed out of the studio. Fortunately for us listeners, the engineers had been recording the sessions, and were able to make a perfectly good set. Kleiber was predictably furious, and never recorded for DGG again.

Kleiber made one other (unusual) recording, Dvorak’s Piano Concerto, with (remarkably) Sviatoslav Richter, for EMI. Kleiber and Richter each admired the other enormously, and chose to make a recording of the early Dvorak piece (which no-one had ever really heard of until then. This was released on LP at around the only time that I ever had the enormous privilege of seeing Carlos Kleiber ‘live’ in concert in London (when he stood in at very short notice to replace an ailing Karl Böhm to conduct the LSO). Rather poignantly, the concert programme was supposed to herald the start of a new relationship between Kleiber and EMI. I thought that the concert was wonderful, but the press reviews the following day were uniformly hostile, and Kleiber never came back to London. Morons!

Apologies for the length of this reply!

1 Like

On the other hand according to my reading there were some conspirisists who alleged that they wanted to spread the AIDS virus. It seems that seperating fact from fiction in this story is nigh on impossible and one just has to take a subjective view based on the blurry information out there.

Fascinating.
I will look up Erich’s back catalogue over the coming weeks and see what I can find on Qobuz. I’m sure much of it must be available through that route.
Going forward, I will endeavour to find the ones I like on Record… :crossed_fingers:
Thank you again for sharing :blush:

Cymande - Cynande. CD rip.

5 Likes

Moved down to the Audio Cave for housekeeping duties and brought the MacBook, as its tough to play vinyl when you’re crashing around moving stuff.
Started off by listening to Paul Simon - Graceland, then gave that 2018 remastered PF-Animals another go. I’m still not decided about it :man_shrugging:t4:
A listen to the acoustic version of Steve McQueen is now followed by DSOTM.
What a fun afternoon :blush:

20 Likes

Been thoroughly enjoying listening to that :+1:
Will give the follow up a play at some point.

1 Like

Jean-Luc Ponty Storytelling / 1989 Columbia / US CD / CK45252

5 Likes