What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

17 Likes

Pat Metheny - Tap: Book of Angels Volume 20

All the tracks on this album are written by John Zorn and form part of his Book of Angels set.

But this is Metheny’s album and close to the best thing he’s released.

His best album is Zero Tolerance for Silence but this album is glorious.

8 Likes

Eric Clapton - Unplugged Deluxe edition.

16 Likes

Natalie Merchant, leave your sleep. :smiling_face:

15 Likes

Something from deep down in my vaults……

Early Siouxsie…

9 Likes

Shelby Lynne, identity crisis. :smiling_face:

11 Likes

Patricia Barber, nightclub. :smiling_face:

11 Likes

Greta Van Fleet Starcatcher

8 Likes

Supertramp Breakfast in America

Possibly one of the best cover art from the late 70s.

32 Likes

7 Likes

XTC Nonsuch

14 Likes

The brothers from Runrig.

I don’t know that Giles Martin had remixed ‘Pet Sounds’ (one of my favourite albums _ I recently bought new stereo and mono LPs). Is it a worth hearing, compared to existing versions?

1 Like

I must confess that I had never looked closely enough at that album cover to realise that it was not an actual photo of the New York skyline!

2 Likes

FYI it’s not the Statue of Liberty either!

6 Likes

Not really. They formed in 1965 and were central to the SF ballroom scene. They started recording a bit later than some of their contemporaries because they held out for a good record deal, eventually signing with Capitol. Their first album came out in 1968 - Happy Trails was their second.

1 Like

Gone for another selection of the Qobuz “New Release” list this morning, Nils Lofgren - Mountains, whilst waiting for my Sainsbury’s delivery.

8 Likes

Hi @Clive, yes I concede yours and @steviebee 's point. My choice of the word adopted was wrong. They had as you say been in and around the SF scene for a while but were relatively late in getting albums out not until 1968 and onward… Compared to the likes of The Byrds, 13th Floor Elevators, to name just two US bands and the Yardbirds and to some degree the Beatles (Revolver) in the UK and other early bands who were experimanting with the sound (on albums or single releases) from the mid-sixties.

In short you are correct and I withdraw my adopted comment.

1 Like

Migrated down to the cabin with the little tyke😺
Giving another new release on Qobuz a listen.
Shostakovich Symphony 14 / Six Verses of Marina Tsvetayeva from the BBC Phil.

2 Likes