What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Quicksilver adopted the psych style???

Erm…

Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings - Anyway The Wind Blows.

6 Likes

If you like the Harry Becket and not already familiar with it try…

Headley Bennett 35 Years From Alpha

:heart:

Wooden Shjips | Wooden Shjips | 2007
More recent SF inspired psychedlic rock fronted by Ripley Johnson.

4 Likes

Having mentioned him on another thread had to listen to Brit trumpeter Byron Wallen’s 2007 effort Meeting Ground. A mash up of field recordings , deep grooves, Moroccan gnawa music and modern jazz. A great quartet - saxophonist Tony Kofi, bassist Larry Bartley and drummer Tom Skinner with a Moroccan percussionist and vocalist. CD rip.

meetingground

1 Like

Yep there were a bunch of bands out there years before them, don’t forget 1969, both sides of the pond was relatively mature by that time in the psyche era…

An award winner I has missed.

3 Likes

Yes, but QMS (I thought) were one of the original SF bands (1965ish onwards). One of (if not the) last of the SF psych bands to sign a record deal, so their first S/T album wasn’t released til 1968.

Never thought of them as Johnny come latelies to the psych scene.

2 Likes

Vaya Con Dios - 1990 Night Owls

This was in my first CD player a lot of time…

3 Likes

I will. Thanks. Although Don Drummond didn’t go to the Alpha Boys School this recent release from Samuel Blaser inspired by his music should please lovers of jazzy ska.

23 Likes

R-1157221-1196792210
The Concert For Bangladesh.

14 Likes

STR4TA STR4TASFEAR / 2022 Brownswood / UK CD / BWOOD0287CD

3 Likes

And I thought I was the only one! A wonderful band who continued to make wonderful records. Time Flies is my favourite and comes out at regular intervals. Breathe of God indeed.
Vaya_Con_Dios_Time_Flies

2 Likes

Put this on - not sure why cos I only listened to it a short while ago, albeit on the old 282/250 etc system and I’ve got to say it’s hugely different and better now in so many ways. Vocals, bass lines, keyboards, some tiny little details heard for the first time - and so much PRaT……
Beautiful

9 Likes

One of the rare occasions when the cover of This Corrosion by Diane Birch on The Velveteen Age is better than the original.

2 Likes

The Cure - Bloodflowers

The only Cure album I have - for one reason the track Watching Me Fall it’s over 11 minutes and worth every minute - just monumental.

11 Likes

I did try that album after seeing your recommendation but ‘m sorry I still prefer Sisters version - but that’s one thing about the forum I love listening to things that others recommend - I would have never known about certain bands and artists that I’ve started to listen to - so thanks @AndyP and others!

1 Like

OK if Diane Birch doesn’t quite get there. There is the brilliant Lambchop and his version of This Corrosion.

Lucky to have seen him live with Tim Burgess at the Barbican a few years back.

6 Likes

I’ll give it a try later - thanks

1 Like