What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Recorded in Chicago, August 1963, this is a deeply spiritual work from the great man. CD I got today.

6 Likes

Ordinary Elephant – Honest
CD|2019

Folk. @ewemon may have posted this a bit ago. Enjoyable album. If you like Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, you will enjoy this as well.

5 Likes

Now playing…

Dhafer Youssef: Sounds of Mirrors

Dhafer Youssef (Oud, Vocals), Eivind Aarset (Electronics, Electric Guitar), Zakir Hussain (Percussion, Tabla) and Hüsnü Senlendirici (Clarinet).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… a mention from @A-Fin above reminded me I had not taken the ‘Sound of Mirrors’ out for a spin for some time now… and Dhafer, Eivind, Zakir and Hüsnü are sounding sublime! Simply beautiful…

8 Likes

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom - CD (1974)

50 years young today!

10 Likes

Nothing for it but to listen to some more Duke. Japanese CD:

9 Likes

Grasscut - Overwinter. Grasscut are Brighton based duo Andrew Phillips and Marcus O’Dair. Probably falls into the ambient / experimental area of music. This was released in 2021.

4 Likes

Played golf today near Tewkesbury with lovely views of the Malvern Hills. Made me think of this, so dug it out. Splendid stuff. Vinyl.

14 Likes

Teeth Of The Sea | Get With The Program | 2024
First listen to the boys new ‘EP’ length release. Track one is blowing my socks off very nicely,

5 Likes

Even when age and ill-health were catching up with him, Duke never stopped, and never stopped pushing the envelope either. This was (I think) his llast ever studio session, and it was released posthumously in 1975, and it is one of his finest achievements, one of the pieces of evidence you’d put forward if you were arguing that Ellington was the greatest composer of the 20th century.

Essentially this is Duke’s attempt at making ‘World Music’ before such a term existed – but no matter how many influences or textures he chucks in there, no matter how far he moves to the edges of what was then possible in jazz, he’s always Ducal. Apart from the writing/arranging, which obviously leaves every other jazz composer in the dust, what’s really impressive here is his piano playing, which is angular and astringent – he makes every single keystroke and intervention count. A masterpiece.

22 Likes

Voice (The Royal Academy of Music Bicentenary Series) - Hadewych van Gent / Yupeng He

First listen of this new release

11 Likes

Just listened to the Fotheringay Album on CD, purchased 2004 re-issue, very difficult album to source and been on my wantlist for some time now having been a fan of Sandy Denny and of course Fairport Convention for many years. Very impressed by this remaster, still maintains good dynamics and sounded very pleasing to my ears.

7 Likes

Bill Callahan - Resusitate!

A live recording from the inimitable Bill Callahan.

The crowd love him and from the performance it’s no surprise.

5 Likes

Then on to…

IMG_9247

6 Likes

Spot on! ordered from Amazon yesterday :grinning:

1 Like

Perfect on a Friday night with nice weather and the weekend and a fine glass of Red wine
Such a great set.There is real magic in how they play together.
Live Acoustic Greatful Dead - Reckoning

14 Likes

Butterfly Lovers Concerto & Paganini - Chloe Chua / Singapore Symphony Orchestra

First listen of the 2nd new release this evening… hoping it’s as good as the first… sounding good so far !

4 Likes

Teeth Of The Sea | Wraith | 2019
Some earlier TOTS wonderful contemporary psychedelic rock as ever from the Londoners.

3 Likes

Dave Edmunds - Repeat When Necessary, backed up by Rockpile and an appearance from Albert Lee and Huey Lewis.

12 Likes

On CD.

3 Likes

Cat Anderson’s finest hour !

1 Like