What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

7 Likes

Dwight Yoakam 1986. Andy Kershaw got me listening to country.

5 Likes

Sparks And Georgio Moroder - perfect album.

1 Like

They were brilliant to a 19 year old (still are)

Diana Krall - Only Trust Your Heart.

10 Likes

Bedtime Tunes:

The Pineapple Thief: All The Wars

5 Likes

Nancy Sinatra, how does that grab you? :smiling_face:

9 Likes

I’ve mentioned before that there was a point when Kershaw, rather than Peel, became my go to for music recommendations. Like you his love of country music washed off on me. At its best it’s beautiful soulful music or just plain great rock ‘n’ lol.

4 Likes

Veronica Swift, confessions. :smiling_face:

1 Like

Richard Clapton Goodbye Tiger

3 Likes

Agalloch : The Mantle

Well that was a surprise. For some reason I had Agalloch pegged as a black metal act similar to Wolves In The Throne Room, but that was quite a bit removed. There was the odd scratchy vocal and blast beat but on the whole if I had to tr and somehow come up with some sub-genres for it I would say a lot of it was more NeoFolk or even Dark Ambient in parts.

I really enjoyed it, pity the vinyl is almost impossible to find now (and those that are available are crazy expensive).

I also listened to the White EP which was quite decent. Looks like some Bandcamp purchases could be in order.

Thanks for the post, always good to find something new (even if it is a little after the fact).

2 Likes

A favourite local band/album Stars Land of Fortune

4 Likes

The “other” classic Go Betweens album 16 Lovers Lane

10 Likes

Excellent album one of my favourites also :+1:

1 Like

Had no doubt you’d enjoy it. I remember reading a review of The Mantle where Agalloch were described as “grey metal” rather than say black metal and that has always stayed with me as the best encapsulation of their sound. I actually own two copies of the original limited ed pressing in grey but one of them has two versions of side A/B hence I was sent another back in the day. It’s expensive getting a copy these days I’m sure but man is the sound quality sublime.

Sepultura - Roots sessions bonus tracks (2022 remaster, limited edition box-set)

I’ve always enjoyed when bands include rough/early mixes of songs as you get an unfiltered view of the music at its rawest. Sometimes the music still needs more time in the oven and sometimes you get unedited, stream-of-consciousness variations before a sensible edit pares it down to a more digestible morsel but either way it presents an insight into the song writing process that to me is worth the hiccups and misfires. This collection is no different and if you weren’t a fan of Roots then nothing here will change your mind.

Speaking of which, sound quality-wise I actually find this pressing better than the main album as the songs lack the over-produced polish compared to their final versions and the rawness brings back the bite that was missing.

Schubert -Impromptus Opp. 90 @ 142

8 Likes

The Long History of Ignorance on BBC R4 FM, presented by Rory Stewart.

I find him engaging and like him.

2 Likes

Had Bowie: Toy and the Mama’s and the Papa’s: Greatest Hits on earlier.
Now listening to Envy of None: Envy of None whilst I wait none to patiently for the DHL man to deliver my Headline…:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

27 Likes

Time for some Fish and Vigil In The Wilderness Of Mirrors

5 Likes