What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

shop015691_360x

9 Likes

Six Feet Under - Haunted (2024 reissue)

One of my favorite death metal albums dating back to '95, featuring members of Cannibal Corpse and Obituary. The music is pretty much a blend of the two, with a bit of groove interspersed within the riffs.

Big shout-out to Metalblade Records as this is a fantastic re-issue. The packaging is high-quality including poly-lined sleeve, lyric sheet, poster and some absolutely gorgeous vinyl. And the sound, my word, phenomenal. A big improvement in every way over the CD which already always had a decent mix. Absolutely demands to be played loud.

2 Likes

Teramaze: Eli: A Wonderful Fall From Grace
Another Australian band like Caligula’s Horse, with a nicely nuanced proggy style.

3 Likes

Good time yesterday afternoon, chance to turn up the volume!

Freddie Hubbard (t) (flug)
Tom Johnson (tr)
Chuck Findley, Gary Grant (t)
Bill Perkins, Bob Tricarico, Bud Shank (s) (fl)
Joe Porcaro (per)
Dan Ferguson (g)
Abe Laboriel (b)
Bill Maxwell (d)

Buddy Rich Big Band - Buddy Rich (d)
Al Porcino, David Culp, Kenneth Faulk (t)
Jim Trimble, Richard Stepton, Peter Graves (tr)
Pat LaBarbera (ts)
Art Pepper, Charles Owens (as)
Joe Azarello (p)
Walter Namuth (g)
Gary Walters (b)
John Laws (bs)

Finished with golden oldie!

11 Likes

Kicks it’s way out of the gate and just keeps going…

9 Likes

CD5 of this 7CD Mosaic box. Starting with ‘Rich vs Roach’.

7 Likes

Melody Gardot: Sunset In The Blue
Saw @davidng played this last night and realised I’d not played it in a while.
Simply beautiful album😊

10 Likes

Listening to it now - great !

The brilliant Byrds first album Mr Tambourine Man 1965.

15 Likes

Norah Jones - Visions

12 Likes

‘Long Hot Summers’ - The Style Council

Best of. Some cracking tunes, but IMO would have been stronger as a double rather than triple album.

11 Likes

Shocked to read of the passing Snarky Puppy keyboard player Shaun Martin on Saturday 3rd August at the age of 45. I didn’t even know that he had suffered a massive stroke in April 2023, and had been under continuous medical care. 10+ years ago, I met him briefly after a SP gig in Bristol (when they were in the spring of their international career) and had a short conversation saying thank you for the fantastic gig. What a lovely and talented man, RIP.

Shaun Martin
Three-O / 2020 Ropeadope / US CD / None

6 Likes

Stanley Turrentine - Hustlin’, one of my favourite saxophonist’s.

14 Likes

I saw him play solo at The Albany in Deptford, London around this time. He was very unsteady on his feet and I would suggest pretty poorly but his playing was sublime.

Gosh, in 1981 he was just 40, never realised he had such health problems.

.sjb

RIP Shaun Martin

Snarky Puppy Tell Your Friends / 2010 Art of Groove / German CD + DVD / MIG80152

7 Likes

I think we were taken aback too but it may have been one of his bouts with addiction or rather coming off and it not really working, rather than his heart etc. It was wonderful to see him just 10ft away sparkling on the piano. once he started playing he smiled and was warm. He was dressed simply but with his hat and necklace/pendants and who knows when he had gotten off the flight from wherever. It was clearly a time when he was playing small places rather even than the Odeons of this world. He must have liked us enough as he came back to play with his/a band in 1983 which was recorded and released on Spindrift. I was lucky enough to be there then too. A very special man who is much missed here in Chez C.

1 Like

The Beatles - Revolver’ the remix from the box-set.

24 Likes

Triggered by a fallout on YouTube for these symphonies….

3 Likes

A brilliant soundtrack….:sunglasses:

14 Likes