What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

On CD. Not listened to this for a while, but there are the typical energetic live performances on here I associate with Genesis live, including some great guitar work by Daryl Stuermer - although I do prefer Steve Hackett’s more ethereal take on the older pieces. I can’t believe the date of this album already though. How did 2007 get to be so long ago!

12 Likes

Excellent album, @AndyP.
I really must compare my original to the recent reissue that I somehow acquired.

1 Like

Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun

This album makes Lou Reed’s Metal Machine Music sound like The Sound of Music.

Brötzmann was a madman and you really can’t listen to a lot of this but it is soul cleansing.

Note : The Penguin Guide to Jazz awarded the album 4 out of 4 stars plus a special “crown” accolade. They called the album "one of the most significant documents of European free-jazz” and consider it a core-album.

IMG_9278

6 Likes

Whoa! That’s totally batsh!t. I can’t believe this was never on TOTP ; )

2 Likes

One of my favourite jazz albums. Chaloff didn’t record much, but those he did record are brilliant.

5 Likes

Tedeschi Trucks Band, I Am The Moon: I. Crescent, 2022.

Among the best from 2022 in my opinion.

8 Likes

Naked City - Torture Garden

John Zorn / alto saxophone, vocals
Bill Frisell / guitar
Wayne Horvitz / keyboards
Fred Frith / bass
Joey Baron / drums
Yamatsuka Eye / vocals

If you’re a fan of Bill Frisell’s guitar playing you’ll love this album of tender love songs. Just the album to send you off to sleep.

IMG_9279

4 Likes

The Best of Mike Oldfield Elements.

9 Likes

Not heard it…but I will! :+1:t3:

1 Like

Is that a single?
:wink:

2 Likes

Naughty :grinning:

1 Like

Beatles, Rubber Soul. Qobuz.

14 Likes

Tedeschi Trucks Band, let me get by. :smiling_face:

9 Likes

On CD - combines two great Hutcherson/Land albums, ‘Medina’ and ‘Spiral’.

5 Likes

Bedtime Tunes:

Porcupine Tree: Deadwing

11 Likes

Melody Gardot, baby I’m a fool. 20mins long, I think I will have to play another one of hers after this. :smiling_face:

8 Likes

Dr John - Gris Gris

Still such a strange wonderful album.

.sjb

16 Likes

Melody Gardot, sunset in the blue. :smiling_face:

10 Likes

Dr John plays Mac Rebennack

.sjb

12 Likes

I always wondered why her career didn’t take off after such a stellar debut. Her Wikipedia page only says “When her relationship with Island became strained” but doesn’t go into detail. But she does seem genuinely happy to have been Bowie’s bassist for two decades, so everything seems to have worked out OK.

1 Like