What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Whitney Houston. 2nd Album 1987. Now this is decent stuff.

“… this made Houston the first female artist to ever debut at number one in the United States. She additionally became the first solo Black female artist to have a number-one album in the United Kingdom.” Wiki. Seems odd now.

10 Likes

‘In A Silent Way’ Mobile Fidelity LP. One that I had forgotten I had and have just rediscovered when rearraranging racks. Copy no. 4402.

20 Likes

Focus -3.

12 Likes

8 Likes

‘Silver’s Seranade’ Tone Poet LP.

8 Likes

It may be Tuesday arvo but on the turntable it’s a Monday Night at Birdland 1958 - extremely live fiery hard bop from Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller & Co. Jazz Vogue double reissue of two originals. Very decent SQ given how it was likely recorded, lots of audience applause too.

5 Likes

Currently enjoying this on Qobuz.

7 Likes

11 Likes

Those Vogue double LP sets are usually really good and typically good pressings. My favourite is the Clifford Brown ‘Paris Collection’ followed by the Basie ‘Atomic Mr Chairman’. The 3 volumes of ‘West Coast Scene’ are a fun listen too.

‘Monday Night At Birdland’ was a Roulette recording and no doubt produced by Teddy Reig, who will have been giving lots of encouragement from the side of the stage.

1 Like

Thin Lizzy - Vagabonds Of The Western World - CD (1973)

The 20th August is a popular day for Birthday’s, it would have been Phil Lynott’s 75th

Phil Lynott, Irish singer, songwriter, bass player with Thin Lizzy. (1973 UK No.6 single ‘Whisky In The Jar’). Lynott died on 4th Jan 1986 of heart failure and pneumonia after being in a coma for eight days following a drug overdose. A life-size bronze statue of Phil Lynott was unveiled on Harry Street in Dublin in 2005.

13 Likes

Now Playing…

Aoife O’Donovan & Hawktail - Play All My Friends

Aoife O’Donovan (Vocals, Acoustic Guitar), Brittany Haas (Fiddle, Vocals), Jordan Tice (Acoustic Guitar, Vocals) and Paul Kowert (Double Bass).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… kicking off this Monday morning with another spin of this new release form Aoife released on August 15th with only 6 tracks and twenty-six minutes long. …and Aoife and the band are sounding sublime!

5 Likes

Led Zeppelin Houses Of The Holy / 2003 Atlantic / Japan CD / Paper Sleeve Edition / WPCR11615

23 Likes

Post work relax.

G

8 Likes

Liberty/World Pacific LP.

4 Likes

F-1 Trillion | Post Malone

Fortune smiles on Post Malone, whose journey from SoundCloud rapper to honky-tonk hero mirrors the arc of the zeitgeist almost exactly. Was it destiny that brought him to the main stage of the country music renaissance, or a cunning 10-year plan? In either case, a listen to the new mgk and Jelly Roll collab, a cringy riff on a John Denver classic, is convincing-enough evidence that a successful crossover takes more than opportunism alone. Watch the way he outshines Wallen in the “I Had Some Help”, oozing “I’d like to have a beer with that guy” energy. The lane for “biggest name in country” is wide open, if he wants it.

3 Likes

A nice mix of Canterbury & Kramer with a lovely Free Will & Testament from Wyatt. Uniti Core.

1 Like

Yazoo - Upstairs At Eric’s - CD (1982)

18 Likes

Beatles. Not played this in a while. Prefer this version.

21 Likes

12 Likes

Thin Lizzy -Chinatown.

17 Likes