What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

De gustibus etc etc. No need for coats. Well, raincoats at the moment.

If the white album is not the one then perhaps the black is…

7 Likes

@Debs @Tony @steviebee

Einar, the trumpeter/vocalist isn’t a bad sort, though he gave me a rather hard time when I first met him in 1988. He has done an awful lot for music and culture in Iceland over the years and was even, for a while, a prominent Reykjavík City Councillor. Siggi (Sigtryggur Baldursson), the Sugarcubes’ drummer, was/is a fantasitic bloke and when I was in Reykjavík last month I met up with him completely by accident and we spent a bit if time together. He now advises the government on music and culture and runs the body Music Iceland. He’s coming over here next month and I am looking forward to seeing him again.

4 Likes

Actually, I am being a little unfair, I think it would have made a very decent single album, I just found the weaker tracks too off putting.

It’s a bit like Guns ‘n Roses Use Your illusion 1 and 2. If they had cut the fluff they could have had one excellent double album
but there was just too much bloat in two doubles.

If they had cut all four discs, there’d be room for a better band. Did I say that out loud?

Ummagumma – Pink Floyd
The Beatles – The Beatles
Tago Mago – CAN
Electric Ladyland – Jimi Hendrix
Physical Graffiti AND The Song Remains The Same – Led Zep
Trout Mask Replica – Captain Beefheart
Songs In The Key Of Life – Stevie Wonder

The poor old Clash’s tired pub-rock doesn’t stand a chance! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

:ok_hand:

And the best record ever made is of course Sandinista.

1 Like

Well, I met him at the bar at one of their Brix Academy shows and he was a really nice chap. We even shared a beer together. I told him to look out for that little pixie on stage. We laughed and went our separate ways.:sunglasses:

1 Like

Actually, it wouldn’t. One of the things that makes The White Album great, and gives it its quality of White Album-ness, is that it includes some filler amongs the gold. But as an art object, it must be contemplated and consumed whole, complete. You can’t change anything about it, from the song selection, the running order, the production, the cover… if you removed anything from it, even the outright trash like “Piggies” or “Obla-di…” it wouldn’t be The white Album, and therefore it wouldn’t be The Greatest Album Ever Made.

6 Likes

“Greatness” is in the ear of the listener

I have the same issue with The Lamb Lies Down, I really like some of it, but can’t stand the rest

Two-CD, 25th anniversary edition of one of THE great albums of the 1980s…

9 Likes

Vinyl rerelease. I think Martyn thought this his best?

16 Likes

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
Gil Scott-Heron

The theme song will not be written by Jim Webb or Francis Scott Keys
Nor sung by Glen Campbell, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash, Engelbert Humperdinck, or The Rare Earth
The revolution will not be televised

10 Likes

Sign of the times, Exile on main street, The River, Blonde on Blonde…
Plenty of alternative choices.

1 Like

Eric Clapton - The Road to Yokohama, this radio broadcast gives many official releases a run for their money.

7 Likes

Can | Future Days | 1973
Lovely, from their SACD set.

12 Likes

Ultravox - Quartet - 1982

I usually reach for Vienna, but this is right up there as well.

10 Likes

The HU - The Gereg (Deluxe Edition)

Ah, some good old Folk-Metal Mongolian throat singing. Great album! Honest :grinning:

7 Likes

Playing loud on CD
Green Day - American Idiot

8 Likes

<< >>

Happy Birthday Brian Ferry!

born on 26th September 1945 in Washington, County Durham, England :uk:

10 Likes