What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Well just in case you’re not aware, their long awaited new album has finally been announced and will be released on 1st November 2024. I’ve already pre-ordered the 2xLP half speed master from their official store. They played 5 of the new songs including Alone at Wembley Arena on the 2022 tour (and at other venues) so with a few bootlegs around I’m fairly familiar with them but looking forward to hearing them on proper recordings.

Peter Gabriel - So, spinning the 25th anniversary remaster.

23 Likes

Thanks. I saw that and am, impatiently, looking forward to Nov 1st.

4 Likes

I have an original mint copy of that (on the excellent limited edition silver vinyl)

Excellent album with then; little known about backing singer Björk who clearly shows superb vocal potential and makes this album happen, rather than the unfortunate amount of bombastic trumpet blowing which imho the album would be so much better without.
:smile: :no_entry_sign: :trumpet:

5 Likes

David Bowie - Outside - CD (1995)

12 Likes

Her best work since Yazoo IMHO….

Alison Moyet: The Minutes

10 Likes

The Clash - 1979 - London Calling - Label - CBS - Epic - OG double Vinyl.

This is the third studio album by the Clash produced by Guy Stevens. It produced three singles London Calling, Clampdown & Train in Vain.

This album has sold over five million copies worldwide and has to be the best double album in popular music history IMOP….Unless you can name a better one!

22 Likes

8 Likes

That looks like a good compilation but unfortunately not available to digital subscribers.

Life’s Too Good, their debut, is a much better album and they were quite good live. Although I have it on vinyl I cannot member last time I listened to Here Today…maybe I’ll have s listen later.

1 Like

1 Like

My last listen to it was about 15 years ago, and iirc the trumpet players vocals are even more cringe worthy than his trumpeting.
Getting my copy out now just the for curiosity :laughing: :+1:

2 Likes

@Debs @Tony

Agree about Life’s Too Good ( though I still like Here Today ) and about the male vocals though I’ve kinda got used to them over the years. I didn’t mind the trumpet…maybe cos of my attention being held on Björk, who was bjorn to be the star!

I’ll get my coat…

4 Likes

Shame. Don’t take the mag regularly, but spotted it in Sainsbury’s this morning. Really nice selection, part Floydesque whimsy, part a little more cosmic.

1 Like

The defence rests…

18 Likes

Love this.

The Slits
Cut
Island/Polystar Japan

13 Likes

LP - Elektra / One Little Indian Records 1989 : )

The Sugarcubes - here today, tomorrow, next week!

<< >>

Björk Guðmundsdóttir – vocals
Einar Örn Benediktsson – vocals, trumpet
Þór Eldon Jónsson – guitar
Margrét Örnólfsdóttir – keyboards
Bragi Ólafsson – bass
Sigtryggur Baldursson – drums and percussion

(Plus a lot of additional personal)

Recorded at London Studios: Berry Street Studio, CBS Roof Top, Liquidator Studios, Orinoco, Strongroom Studios, and Stúdíó Sýrland, Reykjavík, Iceland. 1989

~ < < > > ~

This album is better than i remember albeit an obvious incompatibility between Björk’s superb vocals and that of a male counterpart who would seem to be competing on a lower level of talent, kind of figured this to explain the mint condition of the pre-owned vinyl record i’d acquired in 2009 for a quid :laughing:
However does include some good instrumentation and imaginative groove, lots to like about it, plus fab SQ from the silver coloured vinyl too :smiley: :+1:

6 Likes

The defence loses, this judge can’t stand the White album, it is an overblown bunch of old …… I can’t believe I ever bought it. While I appreciate the impact the Beatles had on popular music they just ain’t my cup of tea. I will side with @Quad33

I’ll get my coat.

2 Likes