What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Led Zeppelin - 1969 - Led Zeppelin (1) Label Atlantic - Vinyl (1971 Japanese issue)

This is a very good sounding issue of this classic Zeppelin album.

19 Likes

The Beatles - Revolver - CD (2009 Stereo box set)

28 Likes

More 1970 live PF, this time from the Fairfield Hall, Croydon on 18th January. The sound quality on this one’s pretty ropey but it’s worth listening to because of this amazing setlist. Rick plays trombone and vibes as well as piano and organ and there’s all manner of freakery and weirdness going on.

1. Careful With That Axe, Eugene – 11 min
2. Embryo – 12 min
3. Main Theme From ‘More’ - 14 min
4. Biding My Time – 6.5 min
5. A Saucerful Of Secrets - 17 min
6. Astronomy Domine – 10 min
7. Heart Beat Pig Meat – 8.5 min
8. The Violent Sequence (an early version of ‘Us and Them’) – 8 min
9. Set The Controls For The Heart of the Sun – 14 min
10. The Amazing Pudding (an early version of ‘Atom Heart Mother’; this was probably the second time it had been played live) – 28 min

11 Likes

King Crimson - Red - CD (1974)

Celebrating its 50th :birthday: today released 06/10/74

13 Likes

MC5 - Kick Out The Jams - 1969

Great 1968 live performance.

12 Likes

Bigpink
The Band ‘Music from Big Pink’ 1968. First time I’ve heard this, discovered while reading about the American covers and influences on early Fairport Convention.

15 Likes

The new release from Alison Moyet. Key.

Such a fabulous voice and such fabulous bass on this recording too.

Signed too.

10 Likes

Are you not counting her 1987 album - ‘Angel With a Lariat ‘

2 Likes

Paul Weller - Paul Weller - CD (1992)

7 Likes

Interesting cover - reminds me of the lovely Talk Talk album covers by James Marsh.

1 Like

Hopping forward to 1971 (19th June) and the Floyd travelled to Italy, playing the Palasport Eib in Brescia, Lombardy.

This is a remarkably good recording for a bootleg from 1971. It was done by Renzo Storti, a sound technician who worked for Italian radio, cinema and with the University of Padua.
He recorded the concert with a Uher 4400 reel-to-reel with two Shure microphones; he adjusted the levels during the concert while a friend moved the two mics (which were placed on stands).

1. Intro - 2 min
2. Atom Heart Mother (the ‘Funky Dung’ section is really heavy and, well, funky) – 17 min
3. Careful With That Axe, Eugene – 14.5 min
4. Fat Old Sun – 15 min
6. Embryo - 11 min
7. The Return of The Son Of Nothing (a very early version of Echoes, with completely different lyrics and the band still working out the ‘Crying Gulls’ section. The funk jam bit is also very different, being organ, rather than guitar, led) – 24.5 min
8. Set The Controls For The Heart of The Sun 13.5 min
9. Cymbaline (very lengthy footsteps/doors tape FX section) – 11 min
10. A Saucerful of Secrets (very noisy and experimental in parts)– 21 min
11. Blues – 7 min

6 Likes

Definitely my favourite version of this album

15 Likes

Initially I thought this release might not be as good as her debut but the more I play it the better it gets & it’s certainly the best new release I’ve bought this year. Track 1 outdoes Cave in joyousness/the production of, I think. It’s the ballads though in the end (again). Brilliant. Uniti Core.

7 Likes

Beautiful airy presentation

5 Likes

2 Likes

Enjoying on Vinyl
Klaus Schulze - Live

7 Likes

Keep on keeping on …. Uniti Core.

13 Likes

MY AMERICAN STORY: NORTH

Daniil Trifonov

Works by
Green · Gershwin · Copland
Young · Newman · Bates
and more

Daniil Trifonov
The Philadelphia Orchestra
Yannick Nézet-Séguin

The selected works range from jazz and swing to minimal music and popular film music. Two piano concertos form the framework of the album: Gershwin’s popular Concerto in F and the world premiere of a concerto composed especially for Trifonov by Mason Bates. Both are accompanied by the Philadelphia Orchestra under Yannick Nézet-Séguin.

4 Likes

Stevie Winwood - Talking Back To The Night.

14 Likes

Very interesting - thanks for sharing and providing the info.
All three of your bootlegs look worth having :grinning:

1 Like