What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

I understand - often for sci-fi the soundtracks can often be underpinning the atmosphere rather than tunes/songs in their own right.
but I tend to like atmosphere and sound collages…

1 Like

Well this will keep me going for a while! Jimi Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios. Sounds incredible and a fascinating insight into how he worked and developed tracks

13 Likes

Various - Grease Soundtrack - CD (1978)

The film soundtrack to ‘Grease’ featuring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John started a 13 week run at No.1 on the UK chart.

6 Likes

10 Likes

Joni Mitchell: Wild Things Run Fast

14 Likes

Bob Dylan - The 1974 Tour Live Recordings CD 17 - WAV CD rip
I’ve been listening to this 27 CD set (interspersed with other albums) since I received it. First thing to note is that it’s absolutely stunning, if you know the Before the Flood album it’s that tour. 27 discs of off the desk recordings from 26 (I think) gigs.
His Bobness sings with power and brings out the poetry of his lyrics, The Band are on fire on pretty much every song. It’s a tribute to the quality of the musicianship and music that I’ve been happy to listen to many versions of multiple songs without any feeling of boredom or “heard it”. Over the set there are a few changes, I’d say The Band were a bit more “attacking” in their playing in the earlier gigs, Dylan became more forceful with his projection as the tour went on. But having listened to well over half of the sets I’d say there isn’t a poor gig here, about my only criticism is that these aren’t my favourite readings of The Times They Are A-Changin’.
Well worth the money, and I’ll be picking gigs at random to stream for many years to come, although my battered vinyl copy of Before the Flood will always have a place in my heart and in my listening.

18 Likes

Marillion: Script For A Jesters Tear
What a lovely afternoon sitting here in the glorious sunshine listening to great music😊

16 Likes

Christine Collister - Live

I just played Rickie Lee Jones’s first album (I’d forgotten what a killer album that is) and thought I’d follow up with Christine’s version of Last Chance Texaco. I love the song, but I’m still not 100% sure what it’s really about.

9 Likes

Last one for today

Genesis: A Trick Of The Tail

19 Likes

Jean- Michel- Jarre - 1976 - Oxygene - Label - Disques Motors / Polydor - OG Vinyl.

This is the second studio album from Jean- Michel.

Recorded in a makeshift studio that he set up in his apartment in Paris, using a variety of analog & digital synthesizers along with other electronic instruments and effects.

This album / music never seems to date….does it!

18 Likes

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Inspired by Simon’s post, above. I’ve been meaning to play this for a while. A truly magnificent creation in every respect (IMHO).

18 Likes

Dance, No One’s Watching

Ezra Collective have done it again, delivering another varied multicultural, multi-genre masterclass of an album. It’s a record capable of welcoming all comers to the world of jazz and onto the dance floor.

This record cements Ezra Collective’s position as the good time band of UK jazz. It also pulls off the major feat of following a record that pushed the band into a new level of popularity and acclaim with an even stronger statement of joy and unity.

7 Likes

And what a great vocalist Chris is.

Absolutely.

1 Like

Bill Connors Return / 2004 Tone Center / US CD / TC40362

Bill Connors Guitar
Bill O’Connell Piano
Lincoln Goines Bass
Kim Plainfield Drums

2 Likes

The Beatles | Rubber Soul | 1965
I fancied something fab and familiar this one is doing well

19 Likes

Magical Mystery Tour | 1967
Some more Fabulousness

18 Likes

Just in - great stuff !

The Kenny Clarke - Francy Boland Big Band
Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Deuchar, Rick Kiefer, Shake Keane (t)
Erik Van Lier, Nat Peck, Otto Bredl, Åke Persson (tr)
Johnny Griffin, Karl Drewo, Ronnie Scott (ts)
Francy Boland (p)
Fats Sadi (per)
Derek Humble (as)
Sahib Shihab (bs)
Jimmy Woode Jr. (b)
Kenny Clarke, Kenny Clare (d)

2 Likes

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack, some excellent remixes on this release.

20 Likes

The Beatles - One - CD (2000)

25 Likes