What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Reflecting back on 1981 and the very mixed music scene which existed then. One anchor is Quincy Jones, ‘The Dude’, on CD. Call it what you will, be it R&B, jazz-funk, even disco-driven in parts – it simply stirs the soul, with some great vocals from the late James Ingram and Patti Austin, aided by a cast of Quincy’s high quality associates. I’d say it’s aged very well. Just play it loud.

13 Likes

Don’t see a lot on about this wee band, Half Man Half Biscuit. One of their earlier albums, maybe not their best but I like it!

12 Likes

Way to make you feel old, cannot believe that it’s a 25th anniversary of this album.

Usher - My Way on vinyl, cracking production. Haven’t listened to his stuff in an age but the Super Bowl made me revisit.

4 Likes

Uriah Heep - The Magician’s Birthday - 1972

Playing a fair old bit of 70’s UH these days :+1:

12 Likes

I have this on Vinyl, it’s great, must dig it out.

1 Like

Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood - Live from Madison Square Garden - 2009

Dipping in and out of this one as over two hours long, slow-hand still knocking it out of the park in his 60’s.

12 Likes

Enjoying on CD - Studio 1 early reggae compilation

11 Likes

Ian Carr - Belladonna. Newly arrived Mr Bongo remaster on vinyl - bargain at £11.99! Not entirely flat, but very little surface noise and sounds absolutely wonderful.

10 Likes

Now playing…

Sarah Jarosz - Polaroid Lovers

Sarah Jarosz (Banjo, Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Vocals), Daniel Tashian (12 String Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Keyboards, Piano, Vocals), Emmanuel Valdez (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar), Fred Eltringham (Drums, Percussion), Jeff Picker (Upright Bass, Guitar (Bass Guitar), Jon Randall (Vocals), Justin Schipper (Pedal Steel) and Tom Bukovac (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Organ).

Streaming on Qobuz ( 96/24)… kicking off this Thursday morning with Sarah’s latest release, January 25th and she and the band are sounding mighty sweet!

7 Likes

Right, now you’ve done it… I’m going to dig out Demons And Wizards and see what I make of it after all these decades.

5 Likes

Ozric Tentacles | Tantric Obstacles | 1985
I never want to be too many weeks away from the 'Ozrics. This one originally purchased on cassette it was their only way back in the day.

10 Likes

This is Nightports w/ Matthew Bourne. It’s hard to describe, but is very good.

1 Like

7 Likes

Steve Hillfish and gang (pretty much all of Gong plus old comrades Dave Stewart & Lindsay Cooper) on his solo debut Fish Rising. Beautifully crafted and textured psych/prog (try to ignore the of their time lyrics). Virgin vinyl.

8 Likes

What makes me cringe isn’t the lyrics so much, but remembering how much I liked them back in the day :joy::joy:.

1 Like

‘Oh me oh my there’s a light in the sky…!’

2 Likes

I don’t know the album, but that is beautiful wallpaper.

2 Likes

Ditto Rigsby - my pot head pixie hat ended up in our daughters’ dressing up box - as they got older the ‘but why’ questions started.

1 Like

Nigel Kennedy - The Four Seasons

21 Likes

Jeff Lynne - Armchair Theatre.

10 Likes