What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Sinikka Langeland: the half-finished heaven.

Ultra mellow acoustic, primarily instrumental with a couple of vocal tracks.

Standout tracks for me are ‘The Woodcock’s flight’ and ‘Caw of the Crane’.

“A dark and dissonant viola rumbles while glistening cymbals add contrast. The kantele adds a heartbeat, then a harmonic palette for the viola to shift and offer a melodic if soulful, if somewhat mournful melody. The interplay of viola is as beguiling as it is investigative”

A very beautiful album that I cannot stop playing. It’s a lovely way to test different headphones and amps too, with the subtle and voluminous tom toms not even fully formed on Apple’s (pricey) AirPods Mac

Available on Qobuz and Apple Music, not sure about others

7 Likes

Another fave from '83 on an OG UK vinyl pressing. Quite a controversial release in its day, especially amongst jazzers, but this collaboration between The Herbster and Michael Beinhorn and Bill Laswell of Material (with assistance from Grandmaster DXT, Pete Cosey, Daniel Ponce and Sly Dunbar) really works I think. Thanks to the single “Rockit” and its accompanying video, it was a big commercial success.

14 Likes

Happy New Year to fellow Naim-ites from me still in 2023.

27 Likes

Bear’s Den – Blue Hours
CD|2022

Indie rock. Enjoyable album. Happy New Year to all !

6 Likes

My favourite of the solo albums.

G

8 Likes

Enjoying on CD…Deepest Purple …The Very Best Of Deep Purple
Just relentless how many great songs…looking forward to Child In Time :smile_cat:

20 Likes

Evanescence- Fallen (20th Anniversary)

14 Likes

OMD - Dazzle Ships - CD 40th Anniversary Edition.

Continuing with 1983, but playing the 40th Anniversary copy, a missed opportunity to collect up all the 12” mixes, b-sides etc

13 Likes

Fairport Convention - Cropredy Festival 2023 set - YouTube
I missed their set this year as I left early for a family emergency, nice to see them having fun.

10 Likes

Will be camping under the stars tonight. Listening to good music.

32 Likes

Title seems apt for a North-Western New Year’s Eve!

24 Likes

Elizabeth & The Catapult – Sincerely, E
CD|2021

6 Likes

Some Jimi to accompany a kimchi Bloody Mary to kick off with

21 Likes

More from '83… Another Setting by The Durutti Column. Not their/his best album, but with the hail hitting the windows here in Sarf Lundun it seems appropriate. Original Factory LP (FACT 74) from August 1983.

8 Likes

A new variation of a Mary to me… I’m off to look it up…

1 Like

The preamble to the Silvesterkonzert live from Berlin with a glass of fizz. I always enjoy hearing from the musicians themselves before the concert begins. This year the Philharmonic’s guest is Jonas Kaufmann. They are playing Wagner’s Tannhauser followed by Die Walkure Act 1.
Our New Year’s Eve tradition for a few years now.
Picture courtesy of the Digital Concert Hall.

4 Likes

Seriously hoping you are a Fulham fan, Arse served on a plate today, brilliant performance from Fulham

2 Likes

Closing out the year with some classics, starting with the best recording version I have.

I bought my then young daughters a copy each when it came out purely as an awesome piece that you never know what they might appreciate.

I’ll probably end up buying them back for their profit… :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Wonderful record, I have it on vinyl. Saw them locally in November, as a consequence, Lisa is now a convert and sourced a great used copy of Focus 3 as an Xmas pressie

1 Like

Chilling on a Sunday afternoon to this…

23 Likes