What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

My favourite Steve Miller Band album.

Sailor
1968 US first press.

It’s a bit noisy but sounds so much better than a later US pressing I have.

15 Likes

Enjoying…

Alison Moyet | ‘Alf’

Such a fabulous, powerful voice, originally as the fairer half of ‘Yazoo’ and in this her debut solo album of almost 40 years ago. I am sure I have this album in my LP collection in the loft, purchased and well played back in my teenage years.

Great memories.
Sublime…
Qobuz 24/96
ERA-1s

24 Likes

Glad you like Samantha Fish, her back catalogue is worth checking out.

4 Likes

Will do @Cmax - she seems a very talented musician. I enjoyed the production of ‘Faster’ - any suggestion(s) I might try later?

2 Likes

Bedtime Tunes:
Blue Train followed by Coltrane

11 Likes

Great drummer. A lot of reports now attribute his death to cocaine use.

Ashley Monroe, like a rose. :smiling_face:

8 Likes

Enjoying…

Foreigner | ‘4’

Another stand out album (for me) from the ‘eighties’.

‘Waiting for a Girl Like You’ - a banger of a rock ballad!

‘Juke Box Hero’ has great energy, served up loud (another time maybe!). ‘Urgent’ is a banger too - just learnt that a very young Thomas Dolby had (more than) a hand in the performance on the album - fabulous!

Sublime…
Qobuz 24/96
ERA-1s

17 Likes

I like all her music, personal favourite would be

Kill Or Be Kind 2017

Then any of the following

Girls With Guitars 2011
Chills And Fever 2017
Death Wish Blues 2023

Enjoy the journey.

5 Likes

Naff cover but a great big band from 1968 expertly recorded by Adrian Kerridge at Lansdowne. Mono LP on Verve.

5 Likes

Second/even joint favourite Steve Miller.
(third is Children but I didn’t buy that til years later)

Steve Miller Band
Brave New World
US 1969 first press

14 Likes

Psychedelic Pill/Neil Young & Crazy Horse. (HDCD).

15 Likes

ECM 2LP set, original German pressing.

6 Likes

I finally dug out the CD rips of the Paradise Lost Singles Collection. A nice little 5 CD box set of some of Halifax’s finest metal. Contains the following singles
As I Die
Seals The Sense
The Last Time
Forever Failure
Say Just Words

It’s been too long since I played these. Thanks to @Taake for the reminder.

1 Like

Ha, I own the Singles Collection box-set as well! (Now ripped to my Innuos HDD) I used to listen to them all the time as there are some fantastic b-sides, with “Fear” from the “Forever Failure” single being my fave. I actually have that on vinyl, too. Should give it a clean.

Enjoying, thanks to @Cmax

Samantha Fish | ‘Kill Or Be Kind’

Three tracks in, and enjoying the variety and energy from Ms Fish - some lovely guitar work.

Quality album :ok_hand:

Sublime…
Qobuz 24/96
ERA-1s

8 Likes

Slayer - South of Heaven (From the 2011 limited edition The Vinyl Conflict box-set, remastered)

Onto the next album in the box-set, South of Heaven sees the boys slow things down a tad but this only serves to highlight the growing confidence in the group’s songwriting. Some great interplay between the razor-sharp riffs and harrowing solos, while the tempered pace only ups the creep-factor.

With the original production having more refinement, South of Heaven sounds even better than Reign In Hell, possibly because the latter had a bit of compression added to make it punchier, whereas the former uses the ample dynamic range to great effect. Crank it up and you will be rewarded.

1 Like

Next one up is my favourite, Seasons In The Abyss with War Ensemble, Dead Skin Mask and the awesome title track to end.

1 Like

Those Berliner Philharmoniker LPs used to be fearsomely expensive. Is that still the case?

Ado - One Piece Film Red OST (2023, limited edition)

And now for something completely different. Decided on a little break from Slayer and what better way than the infectious pop-stylings of Ado as demonstrated on the One Piece Film Red soundtrack. Being a massive One Piece fan I of course saw this in the cinema and to my surprise really dug the songs so I snagged a copy of the OST when it hit vinyl. I have to say this firmly put Ado on my radar, a very young singer with one of the best voices I’ve heard in years. Her power and range is remarkable and I can see why Oda chose her to provide the vocals for Uta, at least for when she’s singing.

Yes, it’s compressed as most modern recordings, especially commercial ones, but this pressing is really exemplary, throwing out a massive soundstage with reach-out-and-touch vocals. Japanese pressings really don’t disappoint.

2 Likes