What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

6 Likes

Sasha/Digweed - Northern Exposure - 1996

Some of us old clubbers were likely on the last train to Lhasa by the time this came out. It all went Pete Tong after that.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Pentangle

12 Likes

From 2002, one of those fantastic-value Union Square Music “Metro Doubles” compilations - this features Charlie Rich, Rufus Thomas, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Howlin’ Wolf, Bill Justis and many, many others.

12 Likes

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison.

22 Likes

Po’ Girl - Home To You

3 Likes

4 Likes

Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat, 2000.

A very nice interpretation of a playlist originally by Leonard Cohen.

51R7uYON2hL.SL1500

15 Likes

Jackson Browne - Running On Empty - CD (1977)

19 Likes

Madonna, ray of light. :smiling_face:

21 Likes

One of my absolute favourite albums, this is the mono version in high res. Just wonderful.

14 Likes

I don’t know why, everything from Carolina Chocolate Drops, the work with Kronos Quartet, the Lullaby Project, Wexford Carols, American Epic, all favourites, but this one, even though you just reminded me, I have no inclination to listen.

Hallelujah & Songs From His Albums, Leonard Cohen, 14 October 2022.

And then the real thing…

6 Likes

Self-titled album by Crosby, Stills & Nash. An album I’ve never owned before, but I’ve recently started exploring their music and thought, if I’m going to get this album, I might as well go for the Atlantic 75 / Acoustic Sounds vinyl reissue mastered by Bernie Grundman. This is my first listen to it and it does sound wonderful.

20 Likes

Another of my favourite jazz albums. The baritone sax is an unwieldy thing, yet Serge makes it seem so easy.

6 Likes

I recently came across this US band - Silversun Pickups - and have really enjoyed discovering their music. Probably not to everyone’s taste but I find their music quite refreshing and sonically very diverse. The lead singer has a very interesting voice (it’s a guy!). Found them via Tidal’s Daily Discovery which I find to be a great source for uncovering new music and artists.

3 Likes

They Honey Dewdrops, tangled country. :smiling_face:

5 Likes

@Quad33
As promised…

Playing Desertshore new Alchemy remaster, against my UK Strawberry first press. On headphones…

The Alchemy does sound very, very nice - more ‘air’ around things (the clangs and such at the beginning of Falconer and the piano sounds better than my copy) and more separation I think. Sounds good!

If it’s an album you love (you said you didn’t play it much so…) and your copy is a bit old like mine, I’d say it’s worth £25 to try the new reissue.

Marble Index has a similar sq but I’ve only sampled one track.

The ‘booklet’ is nice, two text pages only… but nice:

7 Likes

And from icy German Chantress to Jewish-Russian Master - another beautiful Impex release, recorded in 1957:

Jascha Heifetz
The Lark and other pieces
Impex

6 Likes