What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Finally going full funk with the mighty War ‘The World is a Ghetto’. Rhino reissue. “Cisco came in blastin’, drinkin’ port” but he’s still a friend o mine - ooh yeah.

14 Likes

Back to the mid 1980 's - The Smiths - Meat Is Murder

17 Likes

A couple of club bangers on from over 30 years ago, sounding great on vinyl :+1:

3 Likes

Like the choices tonight - think I will join with this one:

11 Likes

51cEM-kUkHL.AC_US436_QL65
Van Morrison - Wavelength.

16 Likes

Mark Knopfler : One Deep River

I am normally quite partial to a bit of Mr Knopfler but I have to say this new one didn’t really do it for me, I got to the end and it all seemed a bit the same. Sometimes that’s Ok, I like AC/DC and they never stray far from their chosen path, but Mr K usually has a bit more variation in his albums. Never mind, you win some, you lose some.

7 Likes

2 Likes

Box Scaggs - Out Of The Blues - CD (2018)

Joining in with a bit of Scagg’s

14 Likes

Toto Blanke - Electric Circus

The wonderful universe of 70’s German progressive rock and moustaches.

A leading guitar player in the movement.

6 Likes

Dr. John - In A Sentimental Mood.

15 Likes

Dire Straits, brothers in arms. Never gets old. :smiling_face:

28 Likes

Enjoying…

Elvis Costello and The Attractions | ‘Armed Forces’

Never owned the album but recall using some leftover Christmas money and buying a handful of singles including the wonderful ‘Oliver’s Army’ (as well as (incidentally) Blondie’s ‘Heart of Glass’, which kept Elvis off the top spot), from my local WH Smith.

Fun times and the start of some great music discovery, as a pre-teen in 1979.

Qobuz 24/192
ERA-1s

24 Likes

Pink Floyd, wish you were here. :smiling_face:

32 Likes

Enjoying…

Another great sound from 1979. The single ‘Cars’ was so iconic in its use of synths and is a classic that still sounds good today.

Qobuz 24/96
ERA-1s

19 Likes

Sue Foley, one guitar woman. I can’t help playing this again. It’s too good. :smiling_face:

7 Likes

She’s very good.

1 Like

Bowie Earthling

16 Likes

Annihilator - Set the World on Fire (2022 reissue, limited edition, numbered)

I’ll admit I’m a sucker for mid-paced thrash from the early 90s, a time that saw many metal bands either emulating the slicker, more palatable musical approach found on Metallica’s widely successful “Black” album, or they chose to dip their toes in the waters of the Alternative scene for fear of being dropped by their label. Set the World on Fire by Canadian thrashers, Annihilator is firmly in the former camp, offering a balanced mix of neck-snapping aural assaults alongside wistful ballads.

There’s nothing revolutionary here and it lacks the more frenetic songwriting complexity from the band’s first few albums but it’s easy on the ears with plenty of hooks and catchy riffs.

It’s always nice to see audiophile labels such as Music on Vinyl not overlook the metal genre as this is a fabulous pressing on all fronts, with a meaty yet detailed sound that is a marked improvement over the CD. The vinyl itself is dead-quiet and the packaging first-rate. Well worth picking up.

5 Likes

Lloyd Cole On Pain look the track the Idiot

14 Likes

Bruce Springsteen The Ghost of Tom Joad

15 Likes