What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

This evening’s music was an easy choice. The sad passing of Dickey Betts today has hit me hard. As a big Allman Brothers Band fan I have loved his amazing guitar skills for over 40 years.

This album showcases his incredible work like no other.

RIP Dickey Betts :smiling_face_with_tear:

17 Likes

Well played @Toon, I didn’t know this until your posting. RIP Dickey. The Allmans’ will be getting some plays here anon.

6 Likes

Al Stewart - Past Present and Future

Al in 1974 with Rick Wakeman, Tim Renwick, Isaac Guillory, Bruce Thomas and Tim Hinkley plus a great supporting cast.

Al’s albums are history lessons in themselves. I saw him live a few items. Once at Vicar Street in Dublin and along with others called out for my favourite song (Terminal Eyes off this album). Al’s reply to us was “You may have an extensive knowledge of my back catalogue but I have a set list and that is what I am going to play”

A three CD of this album is out in June.

17 Likes

She’s different, seen her quite a few times on Jools Holland, she has a couple of albums too, again are quite good, that’s the good thing about this forum, people willing to share new artistes they have come across, long may it continue.

2 Likes

The Libertines - Time For Heros The Best Of The Libertines

6 Likes

Best wishes to you both Martin.

The Allman Brothers Band – Manley Field House, Syracuse University, April 7 1972
2CD|2024

13 Likes

Flowers/Stones comp. (1967).

15 Likes

RIP Dickie

3 Likes

Zappa | Zoot Allures | 1976
Much fine guitar work here by the man :sunglasses:

10 Likes

4 Likes

I bought this in Boots in Folkestone when they had a record section upstairs that would be the envy of many a record shop nowadays.

I went up there last week and it’s rubbish a load of old toot. Of course the record department went in the late 70’s.

Al Stewart - Modern Times

16 Likes

Christy Moore - The Box Set 1964-2004 - Tidal 16/44
The great Irish folkie in a collection from about 20 years ago, this disc is a live recording with a set of some of his classics and some political numbers.
Playing for this track “They Never Came Home”, as far as I know this is the only place you can get it. Removed from his album Ordinary Man for prejudicing the inquiry into the Stardust fire tragedy in 1981 (and for stating no one knew how the fire started when the inquiry found (with no evidence) it was arson). Today the families of the 48 young victims got the start of justice after 43 years, the jury in the inquest found they were killed unlawfully by a fire that started due to faulty equipment in a hot press beside the bar.

9 Likes

Boot record counters, brings back loads of memories. From the days when Record Company reps and wholesalers used to come around to see you at Xmas and say buy 50 titles and I will give you a case of wine foc or a couple of bottles of scotch. You never had to buy Xmas pressies or any booze for the New Year. It was one of the many reasons why Boots gave up selling music as their store record buyers used to go literally insane and over order just to get the freebies. Meant they were sitting on so much dead stock which never sold. Funnily enough I was talking to an ex colleague re this the other day.

4 Likes

Just home so In Memory of Elizabeth Reed Loud & Proud. Dickey’s song and blinding solo.

12 Likes

2 Likes

51jV8p2GVSL.AC
John Lee Hooker - The Best Of Friends.

20 Likes

14 Likes

Dylan Howe - Subterranean - New Designs on Bowie’s Berlin

A magnificent interpretation. The playing on this album is as good as it gets.

8 Likes

I bought my vinyl copy from Dylan himself after a stunning gig in Halifax years ago.

7 Likes