What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Yo-Yo Ma - Six Evolutions- Bach: Cello Suits

7 Likes

1 Like

I like it, bought way back when and it gets an outing reasonably frequently, at least once a year.

1 Like

As if they were playing in my living room! What a recording

12 Likes

Joe Henderson - Power To The People
2024 Milestone/Craft pressed by RTI

What a fantastic record! SQ is overwhelming, can be compared with really good ones of the Acoustic Sounds Series. Great pressing by RTI and remastering by Kevin Gray. The lineup is extraordinary with Mike Lawrence, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Jack De Johnette. Such a lively and impressive performance, perfect to close a beautiful Sunday. :ok_hand:

9 Likes

James McMurtry | Complicated Game | 2015
Great stuff from the man as ever. Story telling in music of the American situation as he sees it, hard hitting and to the point always fine to listen to.

8 Likes

Vinyl - a couple of golden oldies drowning out the relentless running commentary whilst watching the snooker - not listened to both of these for a long time! - Still quite enjoy them !

9 Likes

At @AndyP ’s earlier recommendation I am very much enjoying…

Albert King | ‘I’ll Play The Blues For You’

… and what a cracker it is going by the opening track of the same name. Mr King literally makes his guitar ‘sing’. Quality and a superb musical talent.

Sublime…
Qobuz 16/44.1
ERA-1s

12 Likes

Wait til he talks about his bunions.

2 Likes

Her best by some distance, IMO.

I saw her at the Gramercy Ballroom in NYC not long after this came out. She was magnificent.

2 Likes

One for the eclectic…….

ATB, J

2 Likes

I saw her at the Indigo room at the O2 (Prince was doing his stint in the main arena).

Just listening to ‘Par for the Course’ off the album - she plays every instrument and sings so divinely.

And she was in the Big Lebowski.

1 Like

Just listening to the exquisite ‘Breaking Up Somebody’s Home’ and just loving the interplay between his guitar, vocals and the Hammond organ.

The way AK’s making music on this album I’ll doubt I’ll spot his ‘bunions’ lyrics, instead reflecting what a mellifluous masterpiece that track was… :rofl:. But thanks for the ‘heads up’! :wink:

3 Likes

That is a fabulous album. Wait for I’ll Be Doggone. Then you can hear about his bunions.

2 Likes

Just heard it - those bunions certainly didn’t stop him ‘taking it to the bridge’ - just brilliant! :ok_hand::grin:

2 Likes

Live at Pine Knob Music Theatre Detroit 1999 - excellent.

6 Likes

That guitar break after the 3 minute mark on ‘I’ll Be Doggone’ is just awesome.

This is one of the - if not THE greatest unheard blues albums. Albert’s playing and tone is just incredible

2 Likes

And how he can make a song about a launderette sound so mesmerising is beyond me!

Just sublime! :grinning:
Favourited the album.
Thanks again
J

2 Likes

It’s my favourite by him for that solo. The whole energy on that track is amazing, just keeps building.
Check out Bay Area Blues from his Lovejoy album, it’s another classic.

2 Likes

Albert followed it with this album in 1974 - ‘I wanna get funky’.

It has some superb guitar playing and flashes of ‘I’ll play the blues for you’ but fine as it is it just doesn’t have the spark the previous album had.

11 Likes