What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Mdou Moctar – ‘Funeral for Justice’

When people make an album, they do so with a feeling in mind. They are making one with a central theme: joy, sadness, despair, tranquillity, love, loss… something. The point is that the thing that separates an album from a greatest hits record is a common thread that binds the songs together. Mdou Moctar, on their new album Funeral for Justice, also manage to achieve this sensation; however, in doing so, they touch upon near-enough every emotion under the sun.

4 Likes

Thanks I’ll try that one in a bit. I am just replaying track 7 ‘Don’t Burn Down The Bridge (‘Cause You Might Wanna Come Back Across)’ as the closing solo was mesmerising: AK responding to the interplay of bass, percussion, Hammond organ, and bass drum. Perfection! :grinning:

3 Likes

Sean Rowe | The Salesman And The Shark | 2013
A request and a very good one it is, so on it goes…

4 Likes

Til Tuesday - Everything’s Different Now - CD (1988)

Saw Aimee got a play earlier, here she is in Til Tuesday.

10 Likes

Ha what a coincidence just playing this - great minds.

And just thinking ‘J for Jules’ is such a gorgeous song. With the most gorgeous vocals ever.

4 Likes

Albert King - Lovejoy

Thanks to @AndyP and @JulianG for putting my mind on Albert for the evening.

9 Likes

Mandolin Orange - Blindfaller

8 Likes

Joni. 1994. One of her best.

16 Likes

11 Likes

First run

2 Likes

Grateful Dead - American Beauty.

14 Likes

Now Playing…

David Byrne & St. Vincent - Love This Giant

David Byrne (Guitar, Omnichord, Percussion Programming, Vocals), Annie Clark (Guitar, Piano, Synthesizer Bass, Vocals), Aaron Johnson (Trombone), Alex Foster (Saxophone), Anthony LaMarca (Drums), Bob Magnuson (Saxophone), Bob Stewart (Tuba), Brian Mahany (Trombone), Chris Komer (French Horn), Cochemea Gastelum (Saxophone), Dave Guy (Trumpet), Dominic Derasse (Trumpet), Earl Gardner (Trumpet), Eric Davis (French Horn), Evan Smith (Clarinet), Gareth Flowers (Trumpet), Ian Hendrickson-Smith (Saxophone), Jack Bashkow (Clarinet, Saxophone), Jacquelyn Adams (French Horn), Jeff Caswell (Trombone), Jonathan Powell (Trumpet), Jordan McLean (Trumpet), Josh Frank (Trumpet), Kelly Pratt (Trumpet), Kenneth Finn (Euphonium, Trombone), Kyle Turner (Tuba), Lawrence DiBello (French Horn), Lenny Pickett (Saxophone), Marcus Rojas (Tuba), Martin Perna (Saxophone), Mauro Refosco (Percussion), Michael Williams (Trombone), Mike Gurfield (Trumpet), Mike Seltzer (Trombone), Ozzie Melendez (Trombone), Patrick Milando (French Horn), Paul Frazier (Bass), R.J. Kelley (French Horn), Rachel Drehmann (French Horn), Randy Andos (Tuba), Ravi Best (Trumpet), Ron Blake (Saxophone), Ryan Keberle (Trombone), Stan Harrison (Saxophone), Steve Elson (Clarinet, Saxophone), Steve Turre (Trombone), Stuart Bogie (Saxophone), Tom Hutchinson (Euphonium), Tom Timko (Clarinet, Saxophone) and William Lang (Trombone).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… A mention above by @krautnaimie had me place in the queue and now taking out for a spin and thoroughly enjoying the album, the music is sounding sublime!

11 Likes

@Steve_S I just love the idea behind Bandcamp, giving artists a way to sell directly to fans. I mostly buy downloads but have bought a decent few LPs as well (shipping is the usual drawback). It’s nice to know that the vast majority of the money goes directly to the artist.
I realize that there are a number of record labels on there as well so the artist likely gets a smaller cut in those cases, but in the main, it’s just you directly connecting with the artist.

I often mull over the idea of a system upgrade but then I look at the cost of making a noticeable improvement and think I would rather use that money to support some artists. After all, without them we’d all be listening to the same old tunes over and over again, and while I like to play the old favourites as much as the next person, discovering new music keeps things fresh and interesting.

3 Likes

Seeing out the night with this one…

4 Likes

Hi @seakayaker nice to read that, enjoy the album, a real generations connection project. Have a nice Sunday over in Washington State :+1:

1 Like

Thank you @AndyP your musical knowledge is far superior to mine.
‘J for Jules’ is a gorgeous song, Til Tuesday and Aimee don’t get enough playtime, which is something I need to rectify, I need 36 hour days… :grin:

2 Likes

I have not played this for years, so it’s about time for a spin.
Steve Forbert, Streets of This Town.

5 Likes

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars - CD (1988)

10 Likes

Enjoying…

Albert King | ‘I Wanna Get Funky’

Continuing the AK Appreciation Evening with this energetic album recommendation from @AndyP .

Another cracker - thanks!
Qobuz 16/44.1
ERA-1s

11 Likes

Sting - Nothing But The Sun.

20 Likes