What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Staying with The Stones. I really didn’t need this, but picked it up for a song!

Sticky Fingers (Spanish Version ), on the original LP “Sister Morphine” was replaced by the live version of “Let It Rock”, as Spain felt the need to censor the former song. This re-release follows suit, and the change sounds strange, to say the least.

12 Likes

Trunk LP.

4 Likes

Vinyl

IMG_0735

8 Likes

The Police - Ghost In The Machine.

23 Likes

I did for a while and though the MoFi’s have a wonderful mid range I just always want to go back to the scale and dynamics of the Spatials. Time to move the MoFi’s on and play with something new!

1 Like

Bedtime Tunes:

12 Likes

I believe his Hot Fives/Sevens music is regarded as his best work? If so it must be terrific as this later album is exceptional in every sense, including SQ. Uniti Core.

10 Likes

Two volumes on 2LP set.

9 Likes

The band logo thread reminded me I needed to play this. Uk second press vinyl:

9 Likes

The Hot Fives/Sevens are the most important recordings in all of jazz @twofifty (and Armstrong, along with Duke Ellington, is the music’s most important figure). The sessions took place almost a century ago and not only established Armstrong as the pre-eminent instrumentalist in jazz (and probably the greatest trumpet player ever), they also contained countless innovations including the creation of improvised solos and scat singing.

Thus:

But that WC Handy album is a stunner - and it has the definitive “St Louis Blues” on it.

7 Likes

Ah, thanks for that. St Louis Blues is a breathtaking opening number. I think St JamesI Infirmary on Plays King Oliver has a similar impact.

1 Like

More from the mighty Throbbers:

9 Likes

Manii - Kollaps (2013, limited edition)

Much like with The End Records back in the day, there was a period where I snapped up nigh-every record from Finnish label Blood Music as the quality of their picks was typically beyond reproach. A side-project of a couple members of Manes, this Norwegian duo eschew the weirdness of the former for a fairly straightforward expulsion of grim Darkthrone/Immortal tinged black metal. It’s pretty solid and performed well but lacks anything inventive or noteworthy. Commendable if ultimately unremarkable at times. Pressing is decent with good sound overall at least.

1 Like

The Lurking Fear. Out of the Voiceless Grave. 2017.

Side project by Tomas Lindberg of At the Gates.

3 Likes

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited - CD (1965)

Happy 83rd Birthday 24/05/41 Bob Dylan (Robert Zimmerman), American singer-songwriter, author, and painter. Dylan has released over 40 albums since 1964, and was a major influence on The Beatles. His biggest hits are the 1965 US No.2 single ‘Like A Rolling Stone’, the 1969 UK No.5 single ‘Lay Lady Lay’, and his 1964 UK No.1 album The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan. He has won many awards throughout his career including the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature, and twelve Grammy Awards. Dylan was also a member of The Traveling Wilburys.

28 Likes

Hed Kandi Serve Chilled 59 / 2006 Hed Kandi / UK CD x 2 / HEDK059

4 Likes

Max Richter - Memoryhouse. Solemn, melancholy music on this grey morning. An evocation of a terrible past, lest we forget.

11 Likes

Owl City - Ocean Eyes

3 Likes

Grown up Taylor Swift this morning.
Evermore, written and recorded during lockdown in 2020. Not a single ‘girly pop song’ to be seen/heard anywhere. I really like this album.

11 Likes

Enchanting Mozart - Concertos For Piano Anď Orchestra

8 Likes