What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

This arrived this morning, ordered after a positive write up from @GeoffC

David Sanborn - Timeagain, superb musicianship and sound quality. Cheers Geoff :+1:

8 Likes

‘Flesh and Blood’ – Roxy Music

Back home after a crazy work meeting in London. But I was able to walk to Mayfair from Paddington Station and back in the May sunshine. London is the most walkable city in the world in fine weather.

Now chilling with Roxy and a glass of red. Love this album, except the cover versions of ‘In the Midnight Hour’ and ‘Eight Miles High’ – don’t get it, especially when the original compositions are so strong.

And some really great musicians supporting the band too, including Paul Carrick on Keyboards, Simon Phillips on drums, and Gary Tibbs on bass (subsequently immortalised in the “Marco, Merrick, Terry Lee, Gary Tibbs and Yours Truly” Ant Rap).

This album is the precursor to the sublime ‘Avalon’. I may be in the minority, but my favourite Roxy-era is this one.

Happy (long) weekend folks.

22 Likes

Caetano Veloso And David Byrne – Live At Carnegie Hall
CD rip | 2012

6 Likes

Rodney Crowell - The Huston Kid - CD (2001)

Giving Rodney Crowell an outing, one time married to Rosanne Cash, part of Emmylou’s backing band, great friend of the late Guy Clark, duetted with Emmylou Harris and songwriter to many artistes over the years, hitting the play button :arrow_forward:

10 Likes

Billie Eilish - Hit me hard and soft
Via TIDAL stream 24/44.1

Regarding the releases of the last weeks this is surprisingly my mostly streamed album just before the new one from Beth Gibbons. Just a real good melange of thrilling, musical and emotional elements. It is hard to describe but the most important point is that it is just so really well listenable as a complete album, far better than her first albums when she she had some megahits and some okish ones on it. And the SQ is so d@mn good, her brother is a fantastic producer. I would love to listen this album on @Dan_M s new system :wink:

8 Likes

It may lack the avant-garde astringency of the preceding releases, but Approximately Infinite Universe, Yoko’s 1973 stab at more conventional rock (and singing) is a bit of a triumph.

9 Likes

2 Likes

‘Violator’ - Depeche Mode

Resting my bones with this classic from 1990.

17 Likes

51ym3GaUjKL.AC
Maybe Baby Soundtrack, some decent tracks on here, but playing mostly for the McCartney cover of the Buddy Holly number the film takes it’s title from.

3 Likes

The wife is out with her girlfriends, so time for some classic Knopfler. Played very loud of course :heart_eyes:

21 Likes

Hi @AlanP if you enjoyed timeagain, I can also highly recommend this recording - normal US or EU issues are all great, and a quality band too!

David Sanborn Closer / 2004 Verve / Japan CD / UCCV1065

David Sanborn Alto Saxophone
Larry Goldings Electric Piano, Organ
Mike Mainieri Vibraphone
Russell Malone Guitar
Christian McBride Bass
Steve Gadd Drums

6 Likes

Thanks again Geoff, I will investigate.

3 Likes

LP - MCA Records 1972 : )

Wishbone Ash - Argus

:crossed_swords:

Steve Upton - drums and percussion
Martin Turner - bass guitar
Andy Powell - lead and rhythm guitars
Ted Turner - rhythm, slide and lead guitars
with
John Tout - organ on “Throw Down The Sword”

Recorded at De Lane Lea Studios, London, England in 1972

~ < < > > ~

25 Likes

Andreya Triana, Life in Colour…

1 Like

Next up ….

3 Likes

The 45rpm vinyl is a terrific sounding album, the title track has such a large soundstage (still available new for a very reasonable price).

It always reminds me of The Cowboy Junkie’s ‘The Trinity Session’ that was recorded in a church. It has that same feel, just beautiful.

Royal Blood - Typhoons - CD (2021)

3 Likes

Cracker! @Rigsby21

1 Like

0714822940061-230x230
Anne Briggs ‘Anne Briggs’ remastered from 1/4 inch tapes by Topic from her 1971 album with some new material. On Qobuz.
Not listened to so much folk recently, so Anne’s amazing voice might rekindle the flame.

5 Likes

Donald Fagen, the nightfly. :smiling_face:

27 Likes