What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

‘Red Sails in the Sunset’ - Midnight Oil

Pushing on through the morning with The Oils.

5 Likes

From Elvis In Memphis - 1969 - Label - RCA - Speakers Corner Vinyl Reissue.

This is an excellent sounding reissue.

12 Likes

Jean-Michel Jarre

Electronica 1: The Time Machine

Edward

12 Likes

Participating in the ‘Oil session

12 Likes

17 Likes

Love a bit of Paul Weller

8 Likes

11 Likes

With the neighbours away on holiday, there’s a rare chance to play this LOUD.

I can’t believe I was in the Lower Sixth at school when I bought this in November '79. Although not an “audiophile” record in the Dire Straits/Patricia Barber sense, it must rank as one of the most incredible-sounding albums ever made, with Wobble’s sub-sub-sub-subsonic bass, Levene’s shards of jagged guitar and angular electronica married to Lydon’s anguished wails. It’s CAN-meets-dub and more.

16 Likes

Philippe Saisse Valerian / 1988 Windham Hill Records / Japan Promo CD / D32Y5096

I had a copy of this 10+ years ago on LP and it sounded absolutely fab. With no turntable here and the purchase of the CD, I gave it to a friend who was building a collection. The compact disc is equally as good, very attention grabbing in parts and musically attractive despite everything being played by top session player Philippe Saisse.

4 Likes

Greg Foat & Gigi Masin - The Fish Factory Sessions. Reworkings of two tracks from Dolphin, plus two originals. Lovely, drifting ambient, with nice underlying grooves. Great stuff.

5 Likes

John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band

12 Likes

7 Likes

Nick Drake – Five Leaves Left
CD|1969

30 Likes

David Bowie - David Bowie - CD (1967)

57 years ago, 01/06/67 David Bowie released his self titled debut studio album. Two singles were released from the album, ‘Rubber Band’ and ‘The Laughing Gnome’. The album’s failure cost Bowie his record contract with Deram Records who dropped him in April 1968.

14 Likes

David Bowie - 1975 - Young Americans - Label - RCA - OG Vinyl

Young Americans is the ninth studio album from DB. Produced by Harry Maslin, Tony Visconti & DB.

Two singles were released Young Americans & Fame.

This could be my favorite DB album from this period? It is today anyway.

Also what a beautiful cover photograph taken by Eric Stephen Jacob’s.

25 Likes

Inspired by @patk posting Five Leaves. I don’t listen to this one as much as it deserves. Nick Drake - Pink Moon (1972).

27 Likes

From the JBCD3 box set, the 1987 EMI CD (released 37 years ago today, IIRC). People say that this is the best-sounding digital Pepper, and yes, I think it is.

27 Likes

Jean-Michel Jarre

Electronica 2: The Heart of Noise

Edward

9 Likes

John Martyn - Piece By Piece. A long way from his folk origins and very 80s sounding, but I have soft spot for his 80s albums.

9 Likes

The Joy Hotel - Black Balloon/Jeremiah. Single release from upcoming debut album Ceremony. Seven piece alt-rock outfit from Glasgow. Sufficiently distinctive to make me keen to hear the album, out 19th June.

4 Likes