What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

RAM/Paul & Linda. (1971).

17 Likes

Picking up on @Cmax and a bit of JLH

22 Likes

Fabs time.
What were Tidal thinking by ‘ghosting’ out the band? John, then George, ok, I get the significance, but Paul and Ringo follow in creepy succession. Someone somewhere thought that was really clever. Should have put the vinyl on really.

20 Likes

Bedtime Tunes:

8 Likes

Fine Rhythm and Blues
Irma Thomas - In Between Tears

11 Likes

John Schofield - Hand Jive - CD (1993)

6 Likes

Busy weekend, now winding down whilst listening to the new kit I got over the last days, with this as a nice test:

It’s very fun for Naim kit, as Gavin Harrison is probably one of the most creative drummers there is. He also plays in King Crimson, so pretty sure he knows what he’s doing :smiley:

Sounds ace, too

8 Likes

Mono version

18 Likes

What made it interesting??? Hope you and Mrs Q still enjoyed it though.

1 Like

Taylor Swift, the tortured poets department. :smiling_face:

6 Likes

Olivia Rodrigo, guts. :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Anthrax - Among the Living (2012 re-issue)

With the ‘Big 4’ of thrash, Metallica were the standard bearers, Megadeth the revenge-driven yin to the former’s yang, Slayer the kid into satan and self-harm with Anthrax being the party-hard-y, binge-drinking goof-balls. Among the Living not only acts as a microcosm of the myriad, at times conflicting facets of the band but is in my opinion the first album the band released that was high-quality all the way through. Within you’ll find references to Stephen King novels (“Among the Living” taking on The Stand), comic books (“I Am the Law” unsurprisingly covering Judge Dredd), beloved comedians (the tragic death of James Belushi in "Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.)), concert etiquette (“Caught in a Mosh”) to highlighting racism and indigenous rights with “Indians.” This album has it all and is backed up by tight, catchy riffs, razor-sharp composition and the incredible pipes of Joey Belladonna.

Does it deserve its place in the thrash hall-of-fame? Undoubtedly, even if I prefer the maturity and depth of 1990’s Persistence of Time, Among the Living is a must-have in any self-respecting metalhead’s collection.

What about the sound quality? Do yourself a favor and make sure you get the remastered version and not the original recording as delivered on this pressing unless you enjoy hearing an album recorded from within the 20 mattresses found in The Princess and the Pea.

8 Likes

OK, let’s try this for an analogy.
Someone offers to cook your favourite meal for you. You watch them do it and see all the right ingredients going in and the process seemed right, but when you sat down to eat it it just tasted wrong🤷🏻‍♂️
The musicians were good individually, without a doubt. However, the result was definitely not greater than the sum of its parts in my opinion. Our neighbours were there as well and thought much the same as me.
Still, it was a night out and Mrs Q enjoyed it, which is good.

3 Likes

Hi @QuickSticks i thought the 50th anniversary edition was spectacular. There’s been so many variations it’s hard to keep up with it as some work others don’t.

1 Like

Hi Pete, yeah I agree.
I was particularly disappointed by the version from Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with Brian Blessed.
I created a playlist in Qobuz containing just Part 1 & 2 from the 50th Anniversary release, as I didn’t want all that extra stuff in the full release.

2 Likes

That was horrible it didn’t seem that bad until he opened his mouth. :scream:

Saw The Charles Hazelwood All Stars (including Will Gregory and Adrian Utley) play part 1 at the Queen Elizabeth Hall back in, I think, 2012, using vintage synths and with one of the McGann brothers doing the Viv Stanshall bit. That was brilliant. They did Terry Riley’s Rainbow in Curved Air as well, and some Steve Reich stuff. One of my all time best concerts.

2 Likes

Ned Doheny, self titled. Underrated West Coast singer/songwriter’s debut album from 1973. Never really broke through in the States, but was latterly big in Japan.

3 Likes

71Geo3IgfNL.AC_UY436_QL65

This very fine recent album from Mr Parker and his mates.

4 Likes

grooving out last night to this…

15 Likes