What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Carly Pearce, 29: written in stone. :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Slayer - Christ Illusion (from the 2011 remastered ‘Vinyl Conflict’ box-set, limited edition)

Back to my Slayer box-set and boy was I reluctant to throw this on. When Christ Illusion came out I was hoping for a return-to-form after the disappointing God Hates Us All, a chance for the band to right the ship and hopefully tap into what made them such a potent force back in the day. Alas, Christ Illusion was even more of a letdown than its predecessor and revisiting it again after a long absence hasn’t changed my view by any real measure. This is not a bad album I will state, the band are all proficient musicians and execute the songs with marked professionalism. But the spark is gone and the music on offer is rote and lacking in imagination. This is Slayer going through the motions, churning out a collection of competent but entirely forgettable cuts that you will struggle to recall a single riff after the record has ceased to spin. I gave up on the band after this came out and never bothered to listen to the follow-up World Painted Blood as a result, the latter of which is included in this box-set so maybe I’ll finally hear it out after all these years ad hope for redemption in the grooves. But I’m not holding my breath.

As with all the other records in this collection no fault can lay at the sound-quality at least, which was the one bright spark among dim embers.

3 Likes

Håvard Gimse Chopin / Scherzi and Preludes / 1999 naim / Austria CD / naimcd028

7 Likes

Saw her at C2C - been waiting for this album to be released.

1 Like

Sarah Walker’s Sunday morning Radio show and as always @Clive if your listening enjoy

5 Likes

Concerts Under The Dome Dvořák + Messiaen / 1993 naim / Austria CD / naimcd008

6 Likes

Seeing your comment about Andy Kershaw really resonated with me to.
I used to love listening to his Radio 1 radio show in the 1980’s and 1990’s and discovered so many great bands like the Bhundu Boys and Ted Hawkins.Also bands I had never herd of from the American West Coast Paisley Underground scene like The Rain Parade and The Pandoras.And music from Mali and Cajun music.
He used to play such an eclectic mix .

I felt sad when he had severe marital problems with the break up of his marraige and his breaking visiting his children court orders .Because of his bad behaviour and depression brought on by alcoholism probably a coping mechanism about the breakup. On the Isle Of Man were he was living with her.
So a complete melt down but that could be any of us I suppose in a similar situation.
No excuses most people do it better I suppose but everyone is different.

I think he slowly got back to Radio work and I think Radio 3 gave him a late night spot
But don’t know what he is doing now

So yeah …like you miss him alot but always extremely grateful for the introduction to hearing new music :notes:

4 Likes

Demon Fuzz - Roots And Offshoots
Klimt Records reissue

4 Likes

Listening to Andy Kershaw was a musical education for me too. Google will take you to his official website. His last radio work for R3 was 2020 according to this and there are archived recordings including Music Planet. His Desert Island Disks appearance can be found there too. There are podcasts. I hope he is looking after himself these days, he clearly was in a very bad place.

3 Likes

I don’t think ‘Supergroup’ is a big enough adjective for the personnel this album has collaborating on it.

10 Likes

Great record!

1 Like

Thanks mate I will have a look at his website
And its so nice reading your reply and your comments.
I used to record his shows on cassette and it really felt like buying a compilation album as I would hear a band and then buy there stuff on vinyl
Much appreciated and wishing you a good day
Cheers Ian

2 Likes

6 Likes

SFX featuring Alan Murphy / 1993 naim / Austria CD / naimcd004

4 Likes

Bellowhead - Bellowhead Live: The Farewell Tour

4 Likes

Have a good day yourself, Ian. And thank you. Most of us only know broadcasters and DJs from their public personalities. Let’s hope there’s more radio work for Andy Kershaw in the future too. He could be very funny, announcing ‘You’re listening to Radio 3 and I’m Verity Sharp’ in broad Lancashire tones. I’ve not read his book, because as you say ‘no excuses.’
Derek

1 Like

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Spinning some vinyl this morning. Coco was sat on my lap as Welcome to the Machine started - her ears were doing somersaults as sounds were coming from all directions.

37 Likes

LP - Okeh / Sony Music 2016 : )

Nils Petter Molvær - Buoyancy

<<>>

Jo Berger Myhre : Double Bass, Bass Guitar, Baritone Guitar, Twelve-String Guitar, Electric Guitar, Synth, Electronics, Handclaps
Erland Dahlen : Drums, Handbells, Tom Tom, Drum Machine, Frame Drum, Log Drum, Xylophone, Percussion, Piano, Shaker, Knives And Forks, Handclaps
Geir Sundstøl : Guitars, Handclaps
Nils Peter Molvær : Trumpet, Electronics, Voice, Loops, Handclaps

Recorded at Ocean Sound Recordings in February 2016

~ < < > > ~

7 Likes

Nicely summarised. At some point Kershaw replaced Peel for me as my go to for new music recommendations. His love of music of all genres was refreshing & undoubtedly helped the careers of musicians from outside the UK/USA. Ted Hawkins remains a big favourite of ours. We caught him live a couple of times. Both brilliant gigs. And yes, the Paisley period was great. The vinyl is still on our shelves.

3 Likes

The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue - CD (1980)

13 Likes