What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

You could’t make it up! :rofl:

4 Likes

Argh love it Steve…so refreshing your approach …rather than all that Fraim :rofl:

The Stones in Atlanta on Friday. A fantastic show by the rocktogenarians for 40,000-50,000 people at the Mercedes-Benz enormodome.

8 Likes

at risk of gross generalization - I don’t think it is just debut albums, modern music often feels very ‘tight’ to me, everything in exact step - I find it tiring…

Other opinions are available and I’m happy to see a discussion…

4 Likes

Prince and the Revolution - Live. Just arrived today. I bought this as I had seen on YouTube an epic live version of Purple Rain. It was so good I wondered if it was available on CD or vinyl. At first it seemed not, but by coincidence I was looking in an old copy of Uncut magazine and saw a review of this album. It dawned on me that this 2022 CD and vinyl release was what I was looking for. It’s a performance from 1985 in Syracuse, New York. Anyway, as I say the version of Purple Rain is simply epic and clocks in at nearly 20 minutes.

14 Likes

This has not had an outing for many a year

Michael McDonald - Sweet Freedom, the best of.

8 Likes

Carly Pearce, hummingbird. :smiling_face:

6 Likes

Yes, so much new stuff lacks humanity - I like to get a sense of the players in the music I listen to, hence the increasing proportion of jazz, Americana and folk in my play queue these days. Not to say there isn’t good stuff being made, this forum disproves that daily!

3 Likes

Bedtime Tunes:

7 Likes

It finally clicked a bit better today when listening to Caligula’s Horse and the whole new setup. I guess I was still too much in ‘analysis mode’ to really enjoy everything properly.

That said, no matter how many times I’ve heard it as a crappy Spotify stream from my phone to my headphones, these guys really know how to tug on your heartstrings and make you feel what the pandemic was like, at least for me. Songwriting and lyrics are just spot on. Absolutely adore it. Glad I could finally play it on disc, as the CDX2 died days before the album arrived.

3 Likes

Enjoying…

Seasick Steve | ‘A Trip A Stumble A Fall Down On Your Knees’

I literally stumbled upon this new release when searching Qobuz at the weekend for some new music to accompany some garden etc chores I wanted to get done.

And wow, what a great new sound and evolution of that wonderful solo artist, first heard at Jools’ Hootenanny way back in 2006.

Supported by a much bigger band and a slicker production I listened a few times and am sat in the lounge now giving the album a serious listen to.

Some great tracks including the superb (imho) ‘San Francisco Sound ‘67’, ‘Backbone Slip’ and a wonderful track about the perceived adverse effects of the internet. Not sure if it’s a bit ‘tin foil hat’ but remarkably thought-provoking in the least as well as a pretty good tune.

A wonderful ballad ‘A Trip and a Stumble (For Leya) follows where Steve’s voice reminds me a tad of Chris Rea, and echoed again, perhaps moreso on ‘Funky Music’! (just listening again).

A hugely enjoyable new release and a positive evolution of Steve’s sound that sounds more sophisticated and perhaps more commercial, but in a more mature and accomplished way than I thought possible for Seasick Steve.

Even the jamming guitar riff and bass on ‘This Way’ is pretty infectious in its musicality.

An entertaining album with some great toons! :ok_hand:

I hope this new album rejuvenates Steve’s visibility of late as it’s a pretty solid piece of work imho.

The lyrics to track 7 ‘Let the Music Talk’ should resonate with us music (vinyl) lovers / guitar players on the Forum. :grinning:

Sublime…
Qobuz 24/96
ERA-1s

Edit: PS: A delicate and touching ballad ‘Elisabeth’ concludes this quality release that deserves to sell well and give him a successful year.:ok_hand:

6 Likes

Bill’s playing with himself again!

11 Likes

I’m carefully advancing through the 80s … like we all did right?
Midge from '85.

11 Likes

Tori Forsyth, all we have is who we are. :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Blinkin nora, I missed out 1984.
Here we go …
Every time you go away … anon :+1:

16 Likes

Tedeschi Trucks Band, let me get by. Is that hand really necessary on the cover? :smiling_face:

10 Likes

The night is young, 1986 next, Revenge.

The Miracle Of Love

How good is Annie’s voice?

23 Likes

Eydis Evensen , The Light, providing the mind space to crack out a decent 30 on Watt Bike this morning.

Ready for the day now.

2 Likes

Jeff Lorber Fusion Wizard Island / 2013 Wounded Bird / US CD / WOU9516

3 Likes

Some lovely Rodrigo with John Williams on guitar

7 Likes