What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Enjoying on Vinyl - so much atmosphere on the tracks like White Mountain and Stagnation and Dusk and of cause The Knife a live favourite of their early shows

Genesis Trespass

20 Likes

I personally feel Steven Wilson is a brilliant musician and also quite a good producer and sound engineer. Most of the things that he does are good, but he does so many different things.

As for great and relatively easy to get into albums, I’d go to To The Bone. It’s a bit more on the Poppy side of things, but still has a decent amount of prog added to the mix. I’m slightly biased here, as I’m learning People Who Eat Darkness on bass, which is a great tune by Nick Beggs.
If you want more pop, the the Harmony Codex, his last album, is a better fit.
The Future Bites has a more electronic vibe which never truly grabbed me, but it certainly isn’t a bad album by any stretch of the imagination.
Hand.Cannot.Erase. is my favourite of the bunch, but it is a story being told and it can e challenging for a full listen. It’s bittersweet and downright brutal at times, if you know the context.
The Raven That Refused To Sing has some magnificent darkness to it. Mastered by Alan Parsons at Abbey Road, production is great.
Grace Before Drowning is probably the darkest of the bunch, but no less beautiful because of it. This has to be your cup if tea, or you’d probably dislike it.
Insurgentes is his first solo outing and probably the one I’d avoid most. Again, not bad, but a lot more feeling where he wants to go. Some stellar tunes on there still, such as the opener Harmony Korine.

As for Porcupine Tree, I’ll be a bit more brief.

The easiest by far would be In Absentia. It’s a great album. Next would be Deadwing, as mentioned, and perhaps some Stupid Dream, Recordings and Lightbulb Sun. The latter is vastly underrated I feel. His earlier works harken back to a more electronic era of his. The latter is a bit more metal.

Some other projects he’s been involved with, are Blackfield (with Live in NY being fantastic), No-Man and Bass Communion. The latter I can’t stand, as it’s drone. Storm Corrosion is a one of with Mikael Åkerfelt from Opeth which is a fun side tangent.

4 Likes

Carlton Jumel Smith - 1634 Lexington Ave
Finland 2019

3 Likes

John Mayer. Sob Rock. 2021. Good songs and enough glimpses of his guitar ability to make it a good listen imho.

" Mayer’s goal was to work on a 10-track album that paid homage to the songs he heard in his childhood growing up in the 80s. Mayer said that the idea of this album was meant to “confuse the listeners” and “implant false memories.” Wiki.

7 Likes

2016 reissue and good pressing

10 Likes

Kraftwerk - Tour De France - CD (2009)

26 Likes

Thanks so much for your comments about Steve Wilson and the time you spent to reply.
A great read with your experience and background on Steve.

Really looking foward to hearing your recommendations and @Cmax and @QuickSticks
You guys have wetted my appetite to listening to some Porcupine Tree albums and your choice recommendations

Cheers Ian

3 Likes

Never forget The Raven…! The other SW album featuring Guthrie Govan on guitar. Not a dull track on that album.

5 Likes

Bit of Stevie

24 Likes

Pavel Haas Quartet - Dvorak String Quartets

10 Likes

Caught these guys on Guy Garvey’s Radio 6 show in the car earlier and thought I’d tune into the via Qobuz after hearing Lorelei and his hearty recommendation. I have to say I’m really enjoying them and they remind me a little of the Black Pumas

3 Likes

John Mayer. Born and Raised. 2012. CD. It felt like a change in direction when it came out, but it is really great imho.

“It marked yet another change in Mayer’s musical style, incorporating elements of folk and Americana, as well as influences from Bob Dylan, Neil Young, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, and Graham Nash.” WIKI. ( and Joni)

11 Likes

IMG_1082

Cat is listening to his favourite album ever.

Not played this piece of coloured vinyl in a while. Can’t believe it’s 50 years old! Still sounds great & very enjoyable

17 Likes

An excellent choice :+1:t2:

Max Richter - The New Four Seasons, Vivaldi Recomposed

17 Likes

Great voice, guitar sound……Peter Green is one of my favourites.

7 Likes

Another great album Clive. Luminol holds a permanent spot on my demo playlist👍🏼

Back in the Cabin after dinner (Mrs Q watching the Golf) and playing a highly underrated Rush album, Snakes & Arrows on CD for a change.

It’s probably only the 3rd or 4th time this CD has been played to be honest…

4 Likes

LP - Blue Note 75th anniversary 2014 reissue : )

Bobby Hutcherson - Total Elipse

<< >>

Bobby Hutcherson – vibraphone, marimba, orchestra bells
Harold Land – tenor saxophone, flute
Chick Corea – piano
Reggie Johnson – bass
Joe Chambers – drums

Recorded at Plaza Sound Studios, New York City on 12th July 1968

~ < < > > ~

Another fabulous Bobby Hutcherson album with a superb line up, alway good with Harold Land’s contribution.
The music is coming though despite a poor vinyl quality, only wish this was the Tone Poet version, gawd knows why it’s so expensive, no wonder Bobby’s grinning on the cover art.

13 Likes