What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

I am getting ready for the Joni Mitchell -Asylum Years 1976 - 1980. Release tomorrow.

This is my favourite period with my favourite albums Hejira, Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter and Mingus in this set.

BUT listening to the three tracks (pre-release) on Qobuz I am not convinced. Another case where the remastering in Hi Res sounds no better than my ripped CD.

Anyone else made the comparison?

17 Likes

My Vinyl copy has shipped Andy, I’ll let you know how it sounds when it arrives.
Again, I have all the albums already… :man_shrugging:t4: :man_facepalming:t4:

2 Likes

Yes me too another case where I had the vinyl, cassette, CD, download and Hi Res download.

Just glad I wasn’t into 8 track or minidisc otherwise I probably would have added those to the list.

Just listening to the live album Shadows and Light which I see is expanded from the original CD release so that should be worth it.

I expect I won’t be able to help myself and will splash out on the Hi Res downloads - £36 with Qobuz Sublime.

2 Likes

We are slaves to our passion Andy🤷🏻‍♂️
I could probably reduce my vinyl collection by about a third, if I went to just a single copy of everything🫣

2 Likes

Sheffield finest sounding fantastic this morning - CD.

13 Likes

Elvis - From Elvis In Memphis - 2000 RCA 07863 67932 2 - Recorded in 1969

Stunning album, full of soul and his voice is just wonderful. Great recording this too.

8 Likes

@TheKevster , do you have a CD player in your setup?
Sorry if I’ve missed this from before.
My D-10X hasn’t skipped a beat and it’s a wonderful thing to operate and handle. With the material/artists I’m buying, the silver disc :cd: frequently surprises me as to the quality of sound captured and output by 16 Bit 44.1 kHz. Of course, as most already know on the forum, it’s down to the recording and mastering by the studio. When done correctly, boy does it sound good :+1: :grin: :notes:

6 Likes

Out here on the perimeter I concur :grin:

Absolutely!

1 Like

Allegri Quartet 50th Anniversary / 2003 naim / Austria CD / naimcd074

6 Likes

LED Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy - 2014 Remaster - 8122795828
Released in 1973

I’ve had this album for years and never played it. Played it recently and absolutely love it! It’s getting a few plays now :grin:

30 Likes

Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light. A mention by @AndyP reminded me I haven’t played this in a while. What a lineup.

20 Likes

Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk (Deluxe Edition)

Roon queue took a sudden change of direction. I can only assume I’ve seen this posted here and added it to the queue. Enjoying this a lot! Thanks to whoever posted it, now added to my library :pray:

5 Likes

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Gold, I have posted this many times, but I am still amazed by the sound quality on this compilation. One tends to crank up the volume on these relatively uncluttered arrangements.

15 Likes

Donald Fagen Trans-Island Skyway / 1994 Reprise / Japan EP CD / WPCP5737

1 Trans-Island Skyway - Edit
2 Trans-Island Skyway - Bass, Drums, Vocal Only
3 Snowbound - Bass, Drums, Vocal Only
4 Home At Last - Live Version
5 Big Noise, New York

12 Likes

LED Zeppelin - Presence - 1994 - Swan Song 7567-92439-2

Released in 1976

27 Likes

Wings Over America remaster.

16 Likes

Why? It’s a small world and it smells bad…

steve

9 Likes

on 3 cd…enjoying the music…

24 Likes

Larry Coryell - Fairyland

Dan Steel, formerly of this parish, was playing this the other day so I added it to my Qobuz favourites. Typical LC brilliance, notwithstanding the singing!

7 Likes

Larry Coryell - Earthquake at the Avalon

I enjoyed the previous album so much I’ve decided to pick one from my own collection to continue. This one has better sound than the Montreux recording.

6 Likes