What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Country music at its best - as soulful as soul music. Found the vinyl in a bargain bin for £1.00 some years ago and couldn’t believe my luck. Playing the Qobuz stream before lights out. The Young album to get if at all possible is Rock, Salt and Nails which is 10 star/gold star/earthy country music at its finest. Up there with Parsons.

3 Likes

Glad you’re home safely, it’s a long way to come just for 5 days hope you enjoyed yourself.

1 Like

Yep! The new Dyns are waaaay better than the old Dyns … its Headphase time.
It’s remiss of me, but have i ever mentioned …

13 Likes

Eagles, hell freezes over. It’s sub zero temperature this morning where I am down under. :cold_face:

19 Likes

Sam Records LP, Wax Buyers Club edition.

3 Likes

Procol Harum - Exotic Birds and Fruit - 1974

I was in primary school at the time, but i imagine listening to this with a glass of Dubonnet and a packet of Players was fairly acceptable?

10 Likes

Dido, no angel. :smiling_face:

18 Likes

I got a bit bored of that last album …

15 Likes

The Obsessed : Lunar Womb

This is just an awesome album. There is definitely more than a hint of Sabbath worship on this one but it is a great slice of stoner doom.

Wino has probably been one of the most hard working musicians in the stoner/doom field, from Saint Vitus, Spirit Caravan, ShrineBuilder, The Hidden Hand, solo material and even Place Of Skulls. Despite all his output I doubt he is anywhere near a wealthy man (a crippling drug addiction wouldn’t have helped) but I have always had a soft sot for his music and he’s one of those artists you just want to support by buying his releases.

I probably don’t play this as much as I should, and you are correct, the 20 Buck Spin re-issue is pretty decent, flat and quiet.

Thanks for the post @Taake

1 Like

4 Likes

Good to hear from a fellow Wino fan. Have you checked out his Premonition 13 project? Just one album but some of his best work.

Mercyful Fate - Melissa (original 1983 pressing)

Like many others I’m sure, my introduction to these Danish legends was via the Mercyful Fate medley on Metallica’s Garage Inc. covers album. A few years later I picked up Melissa, Fate’s debut album that was the source of the aforementioned medley and it has remained one of my favorites. Thrash with theatre would be how I would describe the signature sound of the band, spearheaded by one of metal’s most distinct vocalists, King Diamond, whose wails and lamentations adds a deliciously 70s horror pulp to the shredding riffs and classical solos. There are many textural flourishes and contrasting chord progression, mainly due to what I argue is one of the most underrated guitarists in the genre, Michael Denner. If you like your dinner with a show then there’s few thrash albums quite like Melissa.

I’ve owned this original pressing for years, picking it up for a pretty cheap price. I always thought it was fairly worn, producing a sound that is very warm and rich but noticeably rolled off the top. Despite its obvious shortcomings I’ve always enjoyed the big, meaty sound. Re-listening to it on my up-t0=date vinyl chain and wow, it genuinely sounds fantastic. Yes, the sound is still pretty “round” but detail that was hidden previously is now out in the open, with particular attention to the solos that shimmer and contort in delightful harmonics. And the bass is HUGE. I’m sure there are remasters a plenty out there but if you can snag an original copy I would give it a whirl, personally.

3 Likes

Vincent Clarke & Martyn Ware - Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle - CD (2001)

Happy :birthday: Birthday : Vince Clarke 64 today 03/07/60

English synthpop musician and songwriter Vince Clarke, who with Depeche Mode had the 1981 UK No.8 single ‘Just Can’t Get Enough’. With Yazoo the 1982 UK No.2 single ‘Only You’, and with Erasure, the 1992 UK No.1 single - Abba-esque EP’. Clarke was also a member of The Assembly.

6 Likes

Jackie DeShannon - New Arrangement

From 1975 contains the original Bette Davis Eyes - which here is all burlesque and wouldn’t have been out of place on the Des O’Connor Show.

Jackie was an amazing songwriter and also taught Jimmy all he knows.

5 Likes

Fine Rhythm and Blues from Robert Cray before leaving for work
Robert Cray - False Accusations

20 Likes

Enjoyed some Prefab Sprout (Jordon The Comeback) earlier in the week, so thought I’d have some more this morning to start my soundtrack on this 1st Wednesday in July

Edit: Needed to move to the cabin for maximum listening pleasure after just 2 tracks, so Steve McQueen - Prefab Sprout: take 2😊

16 Likes

Alison Goldfrapp, the love invention. :smiling_face:

12 Likes

It’s been a really long time since I played this.
My vinyl is old and scratched so thank goodness for Qobuz and my NDX2…:wink:

8 Likes

Paul Simon - 1965 - The Paul Simon Songbook - Label - Columbia/ CBS - OG Vinyl (Mono).

Paul’s debut solo album recorded in London after several trips to England in 1964/ 65.

A very early Unplugged Album.

8 Likes

The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You - 1994 - Virgin CDV 2732

Released 1981, mostly of studio outtakes from the 70’s.

This Virgin 94 remaster is really good. Raw and clean. Playing loud :grin: :+1:

18 Likes

Lovely double live set from JT and a fabulously tight backing band. Very nice recording too.

G

13 Likes