What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

China Crisis has led me to OMD.
One of those moments when a hits album seems the right way to go.
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - The OMD Singles

7 Likes

The Rolling Stones - Some Girls - 1994 - Virgin CDV 2734

Released in 1978. Another great remaster Bob Ludwig. Great album too imo.

23 Likes

Yesterday’s post of Goodbye and Hello from @BlueCanary reminded me that I haven’t played this enough since being prompted to explore his catalogue on here a few months ago.
Tim Buckley - Greetings From L.A.

12 Likes

The track Sweet Surrender is up there as one my all time favorities.

A classic album.

3 Likes

Lynyrd Skynyrd. Live, Fox Theatre in Atlanta July 1976.

I’ve been playing this quite regularly for nearly 48 years. It is still magic.

14 Likes

Excellent Wilco-ish Americana/pop. Neko Case guests on one track.
Pernice Brothers - Who Will You Believe.

4 Likes

Gerry Rafferty - City To City
Packing here for a visit to China, sadly just me and my other half is home looking after the hifi - unless she just said that to humour me…

19 Likes

Drive By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera - CD (2001)

14 Likes

Scud Mountain Boys - Massachusetts. An earlier incarnation of Joe Pernice, from 1995. Indie/country influences, very nicely melded.

5 Likes

I think I’ve slipped into a time warp.

8 Likes

I have the Premonition 13 album on vinyl, it’s another fine slice of Wino. I was never quite sure why there was only one release from them.

Those early Mercyful Fate (and King Diamond) albums do sound pretty decent as well although sometimes I wish King Diamond didn’t sing in quite such a high falsetto

1 Like

Monster Magnet : Monolithic Baby! 2004 (2LP Steamhammer)

Monster Magnet had been building towards this album for over 10 years. Each earlier release had its great songs and individual moments, but somehow the albums always had a couple of “so-so” tracks. On Monolithic Baby! though Dave Wyndorf guided the band to what I think is their defining masterpiece.

A huge slice of grooving metal/stoner/space rock. It starts strong and never really lets up over the course of its 12 tracks. On vinyl, the album is spread over 2 LPs with 3 songs and with less than 15 minutes run time a side, this LP sounds superb, great bottom end, excellent soundstage, and great instrument separation. The rhythm section of Michael Wildwood/Bob Pantella (drums), Jim Baglino (bass), Phil Caivano (guitar) lay down a solid groove with extra guitars/keys from Dave Wyndorf and some fine lead guitar work from Ed Mundell.

There are two cover versions on the album, including a fantastic re-working of The Right Stuff (Robert Calvert) which fair stomps and smokes along with a thunderous driving rhythm. The other cover is There’s No Way Out Of Here (Ken Baker) and this is only one of two tracks to provide some respite on the album (The other is Too Bad). However, it is Dave’s 10 original songs that really make this a huge foot tapping/head nodding/sing-along album full of great riffs and well-crafted songs. The trio of songs on side 2, Unbroken (Hotel Baby), Radiation Day and Monolithic are just superb.

The follow up album, 4-Way Diablo, was almost as good and later albums also have their moments but for me, Monolithic Baby! is “Peak Magnet”.

Listen and worship at the temple of Wyndorf….

3 Likes

The Band - Music From Big Pink - CD (1968)

15 Likes

Iain James Veitch. Kin. Beautiful and relaxing compositions from Scottish/Welsh musician.

Piano and compositions: Ian James Veitch
Piano: Fazioli 228

2 Likes

Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow.

6 Likes

The Band - The Band - CD (1969)

17 Likes

Jerry Goldsmith

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director’s Edition

Trying to chill out with some of my favourite music as I have for the second time came down with COVID.

Last time it lasted ten days.

Edward

5 Likes

Kraftwerk - Tour de France

What else could it be tonight after Cav made history winning the most stage wins ever in the Tour. Project 35 complete :clap::raised_hands:

22 Likes

Madeleine Peyroux - Let’s Walk. Latest release from Madeleine. Enjoying very much.

13 Likes

3 Likes