What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Joe Egan - another legend gone.

8 Likes

He tried to use that song for his political campaign in 2016 but The Boss would have nothing to do with it.

3 Likes

Oh that takes me back to the days when I was working towards grade 8 clarinet and Jack Brymer was my goto for Mozart Clarinet Concerto - one of my set pieces.

1 Like

Funny how something just pops into your head and you have to play it. Uniti Core

14 Likes

Playing now…….that is a sad end to the week.

1 Like

One of those tracks, along with Norwegian Wood, that take me right back to my teenage angst years. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oooh story time - let me guess @bruss unrequited love and Gomper (the lyrics remind you of her in your idealised view)? We’ve all been there.

Stealers Wheel - Stealers Wheel

Just love this album - every track is solid gold.

20 Likes

No one in particular but I had a misspent youth with a bicycle in the hall, shared houses, girlfriend(s) that moved on and girls that were always unobtainable. :joy:

It seems to me now, looking back, that I got through around 10 years of experience between 16 and 20 ish. :rofl:

1 Like

Paul Simon - The Rhythm of the Saints - 1990

Enjoying this much more than I thought I would, what a lovely voice for a start.

17 Likes

5 Likes

Back to this excellent recent release. Kershaw would have loved this. Uniti Core

4 Likes

You-know-who won’t ever have listened to it properly, anyway.

LP - Charisma 1980 : )

Peter Gabriel III

<<>>

Peter Gabriel – vocals, piano; synthesizer on “Start”, “I Don’t Remember”, “Games Without Frontiers” and “Not One of Us”; drum pattern on “Biko”; backing vocals on “Intruder”, “Family Snapshot” and “Not One of Us”; whistle on “Games Without Frontiers”
Larry Fast – synthesizer on “Intruder”, “No Self Control”, “Start”, “Games Without Frontiers” and “Biko”; processing on “No Self Control”, “I Don’t Remember” and “Not One of Us”; bagpipes on “Biko”
David Rhodes – guitar on all tracks except “Start”; backing vocals on “Intruder”, “I Don’t Remember” and “Not One of Us”
Robert Fripp – electric guitar on “No Self Control”, “I Don’t Remember” & “Not One of Us”
Dave Gregory – electric guitar on “I Don’t Remember” & “Family Snapshot”
Paul Weller – electric guitar on “And Through the Wire”
John Giblin – bass guitar on “No Self Control”, “Family Snapshot”, “And Through the Wire”, “Games Without Frontiers” & “Not One of Us”
Tony Levin – Chapman Stick on “I Don’t Remember”
Jerry Marotta – drums on “I Don’t Remember”, “Family Snapshot”, “And Through the Wire”, “Games Without Frontiers”, “Not One of Us”, “Lead a Normal Life” and “Biko”; percussion on “Games Without Frontiers” & “Not One of Us”
Phil Collins – drums on “Intruder” and “No Self Control”; drum pattern on “Intruder”; snare on “Family Snapshot”; surdo on “Biko”
Morris Pert – percussion on “Intruder”, “No Self Control” & “Lead a Normal Life”
Richard Morrissey – saxophone on “Start”, “Family Snapshot”, “No Self Control” & “Lead a Normal Life”
Kate Bush – backing vocals on “No Self Control” and “Games Without Frontiers”
Steve Lillywhite, Hugh Padgham – whistles on “Games Without Frontiers”
Dave Ferguson – screeches on “Biko”

Recordings at Manor Mobile Studios, Bath, and The Townhouse, London, England 1979

~ < < > > ~

26 Likes

Time for some Ozzy prog again:

Karnivool - Sound Awake

John Stockman is an amazing bass player. This is also one of the first albums where the Darkglass Alpha/Omega bass pedals where used, and it shows. Such a raw and punchy sound. Goliath is a particular favourite, been trying to learn that on bass, but as a relative beginner… not the best idea I’ve had :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Kate Bush - The Directors Cut - CD (2011)

19 Likes

Elton from 1972.

16 Likes

Its a classic cover, taken by Annie Leibovitz and has appeared on lists of the best album covers ever.

1 Like

I really should try some Elton John. My dad was a big fan, but I’ve not given it a proper listen in ever. He passed away before I was an adult, so I only know from being a young lad, never properly explored it!

1 Like

Same here in a way, only the past few years when I have really enjoyed his albums.
When you are from a ‘roughly’ metal/grunge/techno background a lot of really great music, such as Elton, can take a while to bed in.
My Dad thought it began and ended with Sinatra/Nelson Riddle, maybe he was onto something?

3 Likes