What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Thank you. Looks very authentic.

1 Like

Yes, meat from happy animals is critical imo.

2 Likes

This is locally sourced lamb shoulder (with all the connective tissue removed) marinated with crushed garlic, tomato, cumin, paprika, ground coriander, olive oil and lemon juice. Served medium rare:

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend :relaxed:

9 Likes

Coq Au Vin tonight , just part way through cooking the various chicken pieces in the bacon juices and olive oil for 5 minutes before it all hits the oven.
Occurred to me a couple of days ago that we hadn’t eaten Coq Au Vin for many a year

5 Likes

A bit more basic, I think it was Nick 1940 who mentioned this. I live on my own , so it’s rare to have a joint - and this looks an ideal compromise

After the footie

4 Likes

looks good, when living on my own I used to do a roast once a month or so - then ate the remaining meat on sandwiches the following day- well that was my excuse - particularly if Yorkshire puds were involved

3 Likes

First time I tried it, got the Yorkshires but it comes with it’s own “sauce” .

We’ll see

We have similar here, you can get all sorts of slow cooked meats in different sauces. Not bad and save you a lot of time.

1 Like

The pork shoulder similar is also a decent meal for us solitaires.
Any left overs can be put in a sauce the next day.
It comes with some oriental date sauce…………>bin.

2 Likes

It was very nice, enough for two people for a meal, or one person a meal, seconds and a beef roll for my tea :flushed: :flushed: :flushed: :flushed:

2 Likes

Beef stew, slow cooked and just right for a chilly late autumn evening.

14 Likes

Looks lovely although I can visualise a few dumplings nestling in there :yum:

2 Likes

Dumplings aren’t really an Aussie thing. Think I’ve only tried once to make them and failed, might try them next time I do a baked dinner.

Do you have a recipe I could try?

PS the stew was served with a crusty bread stick.

Ah, my mistake! I imagined that with the Aussies’ love of pies that you would go for dumplings as well. Will ping you a recipe. ATB

Good Housekeeping recipes always work well in my experience

2 Likes

That’s how little we make dumplings with a stew I’ve completely mixed them up with Yorkshire puddings.

Our dumplings are very Chinese and usually served as part of Yum Cha.

These are very different dumplings! Although they serve a very similar purpose to Yorkshire puddings in that they were used by people with not much money to make a meal go further

I get over that by not inviting anyone else for dinner. :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Been meaning to contribute to this interesting topic and @Deeg, that photo made me do it. Sometimes I’ll spend half or all day in the kitchen, simmering, reducing, cooling, searing, rolling out, sauteing, most recently Beef Wellington with red wine sauce, steamed broc or buttered spinach etc.

Then one evening at the weekend we had some nice cheddar, homemade chutney and homemade bread, completely different but interestingly, equally enjoyable. Maybe the effort and input doesn’t guarantee the end enjoyment or its the mood which is influencing?

Happy cooking and completely agree with the welfare of animals comments, we actually don’t eat much meat, but when we do, it has to be the best standard from environment to plate and all steps in between.

Martin

4 Likes

Its odd sometimes, yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes, by far the least expensive part of a roast meal these days, are often the most commented on when you serve… soggy yorkshire or not crispy potatoes will be remembered forever regrdless of the rest of the meal :wink:

3 Likes