What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Just started ordering groceries on-line and picking up at the store. I recommend you try, happy so far. I think they tend to give you the best available, also I understand as far as produce is concerned, they pull the order from the back warehouse and so fresher to some degree.

Like yourself, I end up with much sub-optimal food in the fridge. I do try to cook chard as soon as I get home.

1 Like

How did it go ?

Not really dinner but one of our grandkids is having a birthday tomorrow so Mrs Pete has made some chocolate crackles, I’m enjoying one I’ve stolen with a cup of tea.

4 Likes

Spicy but tasty - recommend

Ooh. Spent nearly all day and night at Dishoom in Shoreditch. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

Why do I always consider posting to this thread post facto ie no photo available. Last night’s rather clumsy effort, in terms of preparation rather than taste, was monkfish.

I cut the boned monkfish into steaks about three inches in size These I pan fried for about a minute each side and covered with tarragon for finishing in the oven for about eight minutes at 180C. For the sauce I reduced some white wine, added some cream and chopped tarragon and a little vegetable stock. The sauce was finished with some juices from the monkfish steaks and a little butter. I also crisp fried some prosciutto that added lovely texture and salty contrast to the sweet monkfish. This was all served with baby potatoes and a selection of vegetables.

2 Likes

Some of this tonight - sneaky Waitrose the counter price was £29 ‘reduced to £20’ - asked the lad behind the counter how heavy it was, I guessed 2.5 Kg but actually nearer 2Kg, he remarked it was unlikely to sell so I could have it for £20 (£10/Kg) :+1:

3 Likes

Just a little organic free range chicken.

This time stuffed and tied with lemon,garlic,rosemary and smoked bacon.
Salt and olive oil massaged.
Pot roasted later.

1 Like

After basting every 15 minutes or so in the hour.

Resting on its foil crown, before being covered In more foil.

Note that “Fetish” might be a lost in translation of “obsession”.
Although didn’t bother with the other complicated bits, just gravy…

2 Likes

A curry of paneer, cauliflower and chickpeas.
Essentially make it up as I go.

7 Likes

Sauce looks good, any tips?

Was there a Beer can placed strategically?

Not sure I would call it tips, I have to keep it mild as dearly beloved is unable to eat really spicy or onion based dishes.
Run out of ghee, so about 5ml oil and heaped teaspoon of butter, gently fry off garam masala and curry powder with small chopped shallot, chilli and tomato paste.
Add carrot, cauliflower, beans (what I used to call French, but variously Bobby, round or fine beans) and chopped tomatoes with a little water.
When they start to soften in go the sultanas, chopped apricots, cashews, chick peas. Add more liquid.
Finally the paneer, keep stirring at a simmer, topping up liquid as needed.
It’s nothing authentic.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give it a try and issue a full report.
Cheers,

Peter

Somethings gone completely bazaar with waitrose stock recently

Sad to hear of Michel Roux’s Death

1 Like

Indeed, I ate a few times at Gavroche when he was there, some of the finest meals of my life. And when he turned up as a TV personality, he came over as a good chap.

2 Likes

Yes, certain things no longer seem to be stocked at my local store.

Haven’t had a tagine for months. This ones our favourite chicken and apricots with couscous.

8 Likes

What They Had Left In Waitrose soup
In this case leek, celery, carrot, cavallo Nero and veg stock cube

6 Likes