What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

No gurraaavy?

Ur ye mad?

My wife and daughter love Yorkshire pudding so we have them with all roast dinners.
I do have three if it’s a beef roast!

Atb

Kk

:sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

I’ve been using the egg-type bbq for a good 5 years now. They’re superb. Totally different way of bbq than the usual. The big key is to make sure the lid and base have a perfect seal, and I mean perfect. No smoke pouring out this area. A gap means air is getting in and moisture out. Cooking should be controlled via the bottom and top vent only. This allows very slow, very low temp cooking/smoking with minimal moisture escape. I don’t know what the cheap eggs are like, but if the walls are too thin, heat will escape, meaning more heat is needed, hence more air needed and the meat will dry out, defeating the purpose of buying the egg. I need to source some better charcoal . Mine is restaurant grade charcoal, but I don’t like the taste it imparts.

Tonight’s meal is this https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pot-roast-beef-french-onion-gravy

Haven’t done it before. Hopefully it doesn’t go tough. (not on the bbq btw)

1 Like

Dave, retired a few years ago but I use to travel all over the UK visiting the companies various locations one was in the topside of Leeds.

I used to stay in the Holiday Inn at Tong village but would walk down to the local Greyhound pub for food.

They had choice of a 6 inch round or if you were extremely peckish a 8 inch square Yorkshire pudding filled with rich onion gravy this followed by a roast beef dinner accompanied with a few bottles of Magners.

3 Likes

The only right and proper way to have Yorkshires. :wink:

1 Like

Sea bass curry using the loin from a 5kg fish. The base is made from onions, ginger, garlic, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, tomato puree, garam masala, cumin, coriander seed, fenugreek, smoked paprika, turmeric, chilli, oil, butter, cream, coconut milk, lemon juice and salt. Accompanied by potatoes and sweet potatoes. Garnished with fresh coriander and black pepper.

11 Likes

That made my mouth salivate like mad. Thanks for the recipe. Looking forward to having a go at it. Enjoy t!

greatcurryrecipes.net is a good starting place to learn how to make your own curries. First you’ll need to make a batch of base curry which can be frozen for future use. Then choose what style of curry you would like ie Tikka Masala. Have fun cooking!

P.S. When buying spices do not buy the jars because they are expensive: it is much more affordable to buy them in sealed bags.

2 Likes

Thank you, Minh. I always tend to cook with fresh ingredients anyway but curries have always been a bit of a challenge. Many thanks again.

You’re welcome Tony. Practice makes perfect and after a while you’ll find that you don’t need to follow the recipes exactly. In addition, you’ll be in control of the ingredients that you use: the end result is ‘healthier’ curries for you and your family to enjoy.

2 Likes

Seems to appear you are missing pigs in blankets and sprouts.

+1

Practice makes perfect.

Like everything else one learns to improvise and even innovate…

1 Like

Ramen. Soup made using chicken stock, bonito dashi , dried shiitake mushrooms, red miso, wakame, soy sauce. Belly pork, soft boiled egg and asparagus from allotment. Plus sake!

10 Likes

Wow !

Obviously the sake was drunk with it rather than put in it :wink:

1 Like

My dad’s side of the family was Yorkshire and their way was to have the Yorkshire pudding as a Sunday lunch starter with lots of onion gravy. As a kid it was favourite bit of the meal.

1 Like

That does sound tremendous! Next beef dinner and I will attempt that.

Atb
Kk

Its Mrs Mike’s birthday … her very own personal chef has already served breakfast:
Real orange juice, soft scrambled eggs on homemade wholemeal bread with dry cured back bacon.
Dinner will be:
Avocado prawns with my mayonnaise lemon source
Sirloin steak (thick cut) medium rare, my special oven baked chunky chips, button mushrooms in butter & green beans.
Strawberries & double cream
And I suspect a few bubbles & a Simonsig Pinotage from the old vines that I’ve been saving for such occasions

5 Likes

Happy Birthday to Mrs Mike, well done to whoever the Chef she has employed for the day.

1 Like