What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

I have a very similar Global knife somewhere, I bought a generic whetstone (somewhere again) and think it may not have sharpened the knife as well as I thought it would.

I posted a few weeks ago, early on in this self-isolation thing, (God, is it really that long?), that Iā€™d spent the day sharpening my Japanese kitchen knives on a series of whetstones, and that I found the whole process to be strangely Zen-like.

3 Likes

From my experience, you will need at least two whetstones with differing degrees of fineness to produce a sharp edge.

The 300 grit is excellent for shaping a dull knife and the 1000 grit is often sufficient for most people. You may like to take a look at the Shapton Glass Series Whetstones.

2 Likes

And donā€™t forget stropping afterwards, as Minh says, to get that final paper- slicing sharp edge.

2 Likes

My Japanese knife which I bought in Kappabashi st in Tokyo. I would agree that you need at least 2 grades of whetstone

4 Likes

Thatā€™s beautiful. Is it forged from Damascus steel?

I am not sure to be honest. Is handmade though

For anyone UK based, and who might be finding this whole Japanese knife thing a wee bit too precious, (and yes, you can spend a fortune on the ā€œgenuineā€ article), let me wholeheartedly recommend to you the X100 range of Damascus steel knives from ProCook.

For what they are, theyā€™re very reasonably priced, and I canā€™t fault them.

3 Likes

The ā€˜patternā€™ on the body of the knife appears to have the hallmark of Damascus steel and itā€™s a particularly nice effect to have.

Ah - thanks for clarification.

But the meat just falls off the bone with a Lidl mini Komado BBQ?
:wink:

3 Likes

:laughing: :laughing:

Compared to some of the 1000+ posts on hifi esoterica I think we could classify Japanese knives as positively mainstream!

3 Likes

The sauce looks lovely. Rich and glossy with a great colour.
Vindaloo on the British scene usually has three or four T spoons of hot chilli powder, whereas traditional is fairly mild with vinegar. What was yours ?

Thank you for your kind words. The glossiness comes from the ghee/oil and the colour is enhanced with tomato puree. I use three spoons of hot chilli powder combined with blended fresh chillies and a sprinkling of roughly cut fresh chillies. Iā€™m going to regret it tomorrow morningā€¦

2 Likes

We need to be real careful here, not to stray into cable directionality territory, in terms of Damascus steel shading, otherwise, the usual suspects get involved, and boom, there goes another thread. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Especially when cooked at 2am with a police helicopter circling above - I kept falling asleep listening to Qobuz downloads, and there was no way Iā€™d risk putting it back in the fridge for another day.

There may be happy hedgehogs tonight.

2 Likes

Are you better with your left or right hand?

1 Like

How very dare you!

1 Like

Sorry, not making sense and choking on too many raw chillies in a naff stir fry at this minute.

2 Likes