What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Boiling them reminds of being a kid at my grandparents where the lamb was always grey and the (3) veg had any taste or goodness boiled away.

Made for Breakfast this morning.

If anyone has old bananas hanging around and don’t know what to do with them, I have a fine solution, Bananna cakes. These are fried and eaten warm with yoghurt.

Crush the bannanas, add 1 egg for 2 bannanas, then add oats, mix thoroughly until the bannanas are mixed well in, add oats until the texture is firm enough to make cakes. Fry in rapeseed oil as shown, add yoghurt and blueberries etc.

The nice thing with these are that they don’t have a strong bannana flavour, more suttle, the oats come out quite well though.

4 Likes

Borscht!

6 Likes

Lovely with a soy dipping sauce

Since it’s Burns nicht, the nicht, Ah’ll be huvin’ C*ck-a-Leekie soup tae start, then sum ay yon haggis an’ neeps, wi’ a wee glass o’ Arran single malt, ken.

2 Likes

Not fond of neeps but in honour we will be having steak and haggis pie with cheesy pastry and chips, still cooking the steak in the slow cooker and the haggis is in the fridge but here’s one we made earlier, excuse the pan, I think it must have had gravy in it :rofl:

5 Likes

Wanting to limit my activity of venturing beyond the front door, I might have bought too much from the local butchers the other day. Was getting concerned that the beef mince could be on the turn - so after watching one of the tv chefs roasting the beef mince before adding to a sauce.
I thought that would at least give me a few more days after roasting kept in the fridge.
This is a chef trick of stopping things going bad and prolonging the useabilty, but the idea was to further the logic of browning first and getting some crispy bits like that which is so tasty on a rare steak with decent outside caramelisation to ramp up the beefiness !
Now got that roasted mince simmering nicely in a San Marzano and basil pimped sauce later with some Tortiglioni.

5 Likes

I suppose you could serve it in a bowl and pretend it is part of your Buddha bowl diet?:wink:

1 Like

Vegetarian haggis with appropriate veg.

Glass of Highland Park later…

steve (married to a Scotswoman)

2 Likes

Given the date, rude not to… slàinte

5 Likes

Funnily enough I was wondering the other day if roasting might work for diced casserole/braising steak that was about to go bad - any thoughts?

I find it a real chore to brown in a pan in small batches due to the juices frothing. I bought too many packs as they were on offer at the supermarket and was too late in the end, should have frozen the meat perhaps.

A very simple and tasty veggie supper.
Lentil , chickpea and spinach dahl, roasted squash with pomegranate molasses.
No wine , just some Adam’s ale .

4 Likes

I would think just roasting or frying the meat, then putting in the freezer would be fine - so long as being defrosted slowly in the fridge.
If it’s cooked before the “sell by date” . Within environmental health guidelines its good to be kept refrigerated at 4 degree up to 5 days or frozen on the day cooked once it had reached room temperature.
I hate to have things go to waste and thrown in the bin. Of course food businesses hate this more, so these things have very strict rules so to stop restaurants giving out crap and making people ill. If in doubt look online for environmental health / food safety guidelines.

1 Like

Burns night, Clootie pudding, preceded by Haggis Neeps & tatties…and a dram.

6 Likes

‘Great chieftain o’ the puddin’ race.’

G

4 Likes

…and if you are also feeling romantic you could combine it with Santes Dwynwen’s Day!

1 Like

Same here - I’ve always tedned to buy too much food when shopping, fancying too many things in reality!

This is no different these days with the pandemic as I want to shop as infrequently as possible so tend to buy a lot. Inevitably something gets put right at the back of the fridge hidden away.

1 Like

Cottage Pie with chateau neuf du pape 2016

6 Likes

Gratin dauphinois left over from last night with pork tenderloin. The pork had a dry rub of sweet paprika, celery salt, and cumin. It was pan fried then added to a melange of leeks and cavalo Nero that was baked in the oven.
I drank a vacqueyras with it - tasty and quaffable.

2 Likes

I might just have reached my “Colossal Velocity” point of roasting potatoes.
I will post some pics later to make you all jealous.