What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Witness my roastness.

11 Likes

Ooh! Lovely. Particular method or happy chance?

Yes. Red rooster spuds. Boiled vigorously for 5 minutes along with the peeled skins and plenty sea salt.
Cut so to maximise the surface area.
Drained and shaked with some flour.
On a roasting tray with rapeseed oil on top of the hob turned medium. Then drop spuds into the roasting tray whilst still
Keeping the roasting tray on the hob hot.
Fry them in the tray a good few minutes on top of the hobs turning until some colour,
Then in the oven 170. Every 5 or so minutes turning to coat with oil. Maybe adding some more or tipping some out - to get that just perfect amount.
Repeat for at least an hour but frequently checking your temperatures.

3 Likes

Korean chicken flatbreads, rather nice but I refuse to call them tacos.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Tuna with mango chutney. One of six courses at Saturday night.

9 Likes

Nice, the pie is nice, but the chateau neuf du pape 2016 is really nicer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After a lovely day yesterday pottering about the kitchen.

A Tonkotsu ramen with chasu and ajitsuke tamago.

Or a slow simmered 10hr pork and chicken bone broth. Braised rolled pork belly in a charsu sauce with soft boiled eggs marinated over night in the pork belly cooking sauce. (although I over warmed the eggs up on serving. Losing what should have been a runny custard to being hard boiled)

Yummee.

7 Likes

This is salt fish fried rice, an Ottolenghi recipe from last Saturday’s Guardian. Based on the Mauritian traditional rougailles poisson salé, with a few twists, it’s not tricky to make and is absolutely delicious.

6 Likes

Another Ottolenghi recipe from his book. Swede steaks.

Delish.

G

4 Likes

A beef ragu. Washed down with a nice red

Atb
Kk

8 Likes

Which book is that, Graeme? I’m always at a loss when swedes turn up in our organic veg box.

‘Flavour’

G

That looks very good. Are there recipes with fewer than 50 weird ingredients that challenge even Waitrose?

3 Likes

Yes. Our son bought it for us at Christmas and, if you have a bit of time, there are lots of nice and unusual dishes.

I honestly thought (for months) a ‘Yotam Ottolenghi’ was an unobtainable vegetable itself as I skim read that part of The Grauniad.

G

2 Likes

I shall investigate! Do try the fish thing I posted above. Apologies if you are a veggie.

Not a veggie, no. Daughter vegan though, which has its challenges.

G

Just wondering, did you crop the photo, might look quite different with full plate in view from a composition viewpoint, as I say just wondering.

1 Like

I always have good intentions and buy fish but forget to use it on time, and fish never has the resilience of meat to be slightly out of date.

Our local greengrocer sometimes has an organic Ottolenghi in stock.
Although, I always think they look a bit ropey at the price and dates.

2 Likes