What beer are you drinking and WHY might anyone be interested?

You can’t go wrong with a Chimay.

18 Likes

Sad to hear that the Black Sheep has gone into administration … but this was very tasty today at the Fox in Middle Barton. Pub Co is selling the pub but the community is hoping to buy it as a community asset.

11 Likes

Coopers vintage 7.5% ale on a beautiful 21c winters Saturday.

11 Likes

Black Sheep has been bought by London investment firm Breal Capital for £5m in a “pre-pack” administration deal. Amounts owed to creditors were over £6m, including Covid-related loans, HMRC, and over £1.4m to suppliers and other unsecured creditors who are unlikely to receive anything. So, the company and its brands will continue, with (I believe) many of the directors staying on, but everyone else taking a huge haircut, including we taxpayers and many local suppliers. So, I for one will be looking for alternative beers from other well-run breweries in future.

5 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with the chimay. You can’t compete with hundreds of years of practice.
Some of the new generation however are quite talented. The Alchemist in Vermont is one notable. But by golly you have to pay a premium for it. Suppose they have to pay a lot to keep their workplace all shiny.

5 Likes

Is that a new delivery system available to the public?

Corsendonk - from Belgium

Drinks very pleasantly and belies the relatively high alcohol content.

13 Likes

Consistently good beer down the years, and something of “local heroes” in North Yorks., but I agree with you.

It may well be legal to continue in business largely unhindered by administration, and it’s obviously good that many of the staff will remain in employment, but when one considers suppliers and unsecured creditors who are now hugely out of pocket, whilst directors, whose decisions helped bring about the situation, remain in their positions, seems morally wrong.

I certainly won’t be buying any more of their beers in the future.

2 Likes

Certainly agree chaps, although I have enjoyed many a brewery trip at Masham, and enjoyed Black Sheep over the years, the latest turn of events will make it easier to seek out another brew in a local pub.

2 Likes

yes it’s the new(ish) nitrosurge cans. No widget in the can the nitrosurge device uses ultrasound I believe to create the head. Very realistic head and a very realistic draft pint.

.sjb

1 Like

Pre-packs are legal but highly controversial. Frankly, it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth (something that beer should never do!).
It will be interesting to see how many suppliers, many of them local, will want to support the new business.
As a retired FD for a highly regarded Yorkshire brewery, I’ve seen this before with other local breweries. The phoenix companies rise from the ashes, sometimes more than once, and often with the same directors in place. Personally, I think it’s a disgrace, but as I said the process is legal.

4 Likes

Ooh, thanks for posting that - there were some Guinness cans a few years ago which could be ‘excited’ by an ultrasonic official device designed for pubs which didn’t sell enough to order casks regularly. Public hacks appeared from memory (eg cans with ulttrasonic cleaning devices) but whenever I looked at this prices for the cans were extortionate.

Nothing like an authentic creamy pint of Guinness. Preferably in Ireland with local food :smiley:

1 Like

I was reminded this morning about a pilgrimage to Masham in the early 1980’s (I think it coincided with seeing Jethro Tull’s broadsword tour in 1982). Although, I was keen to see the Black Bear where I believe Simon Nicol and Dave Swarbrick recorded one of my favourite albums, and to drink some ale. Happy days.

3 Likes

Straffe Hendrik Tripel

Another Tripel, I didn’t know it before. Tastes rather sweet, goes down well. Perfect to wash down the cheap white wine from before. :wink:

On internet radio (Radio Romania Muzical, great station but I don’t understand a single word when they are talking) a perfect and also fantastic sounding opera broadcast of the Magic Flute.

12 Likes

I did the tour of this brewery many years ago whilst on a trip to Brugge; a very tasty experience!

Speaking of which, some new and outstanding beers on at The Bandstand this weekend.

Cheers,

Ian

10 Likes

School night cooking buddy

10 Likes

Going down rather well on this fine evening!

I’m a big fan of good quality German beers and they are always my default go to, but for me this little Spanish brew sits along side them :beer:

7 Likes

10 mile late arvo walk rewarded with a pint of Adnam’s Mosaic - golden delicious. Shortly to be followed by … another!

10 Likes

Wonderful ale for a sunny evening, just a couple of miles from the brewery

13 Likes

San Miguel 5.4%. 1.5 Euro per litre here in the Canaries.

Stalin once said that “Quantity has a quality of its own.” Refering to Tank numbers I think.

3 Likes