What book are you reading right now?

Enjoyed “Under The Rock” by Benjamin Myers very much.

A personal account that covers history, nature, the people and lots and lots of rain in the surrounds of Mytholmroyd in the Calder Valley.

Others may be familiar with the TV series Gallows Pole set in the same valley and written by Myers.

1 Like

Hi Graham ,
You sometimes get an email and a picture of where it was left.

I got a note saying one order had been delivered , but it hadn’t . Eventually got my money back , it turned out that the goods had been delivered to an empty house.

Best wishes

Ian

5 Likes

Sorry,but the question is asked.

I was quite poorly as a child and missed three years primary school. Mum taught me to read with comics and set the foundations of my education. A stream grammar school. She was quite proud.

So I still have a deep love for comics/manga. But as you can see not published nowadays specifically for children.

Netflix apparently used the books for several anime series.
The library staff are always amused when the errant 84 year old takes out/or orders a few ‘comics’

4 Likes

My favourite of his. I love the film too

1 Like

As you answered my question, I have to say that I prefer “Dallas” to “Apocalypse”.

A good story well told is just that, irrespective of the medium chosen.

1 Like

It’s my favorite of his, too. I wasn’t aware of the movie and will look for it on DVD or Blu Ray.

1 Like

Julian Barnes’ historical novel about Dmitri Shostakovich is a study in terror and the powers of creativity - the subject’s and the author’s.

3 Likes

4 Likes

It was ok but, as I have found with other books by this author, Vera, Shetland, I thought the TV adaptations were more enjoyable. Can’t put my finger on why though.

steve

3 Likes

I enjoy reading most of what John Banville (Benjamin Black) has written. Just started Snow, a detective novel set in 1950’s Ireland. My favourite book by JB is the Untouchable, a sort of fictional biography of a famous spy.

5 Likes

I read “Snow” last year and enjoyed it very much
Just finished the follow up to this “April in Spain”, that brings Strafford and Quirke characters together.

Clever character portraits and parallel threads. With a good twist.
41Xx89gp9YL

3 Likes

Just finished this:

I’ve read a few of these ‘forgotten classics’ now and, although enjoyable in their own way, they are definitely Championship rather than Premier League material.

This one is a pleasant, if undemanding, read but the author is rather over wordy; as if he was being paid by the line.

steve

2 Likes

2 Likes

I just read one as well - I’ve already forgotten the name and the author.

On the other hand, I do enjoy Martin Edwards’ own work. (He seems to write the introductions for many of them.)

By the way, I see the series includes some John Dickson Carr. I read a lot of those when I was young. Also, I can recommend “Green for Danger.” There’s another Christianna Brand I have on reserve from the library.

1 Like

I am 68 and still buy the odd graphic novel.

My mother hated my American comics and took great delight in throwing them away when Dad was posted to Malta

Some are now rather valuable ,

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 12.21.43

As suggested by Richard Dane , this is small book - it won’t take long to read about the debate about Great Whites and why we do or do not see them .

It is a mainly a series of accounts with very, very big sharks in British waters from credible eye witnesses .

The point being we have the sea temperatures and the prey (seals) that should attract the Apex Predator of the fish world .

About twenty years go, I heard an account of a blue shark being caught at Looe , as it was being returned two fins emerged indicating a fish as big as the boat , as an account it was to the T similar to other accounts

I was lucky enough to see a feeding frenzy of Great Whites in South Africa including a 5.5 metre

2 Likes

My favourite is E C R Lorac , her books are often more like travel .

They would make a super TV series

2 Likes

Thanks @jegreenwood and @Ian2001. Two more titles for my library list!

steve

That’s the one I read!

I liked the descriptive language, but not the mystery. I started the chess one, but realized I’d read it years ago.

1 Like