What book are you reading right now?

I have read several in the series and enjoyed them. Thought it was time to read the first one to put them in perspective. So, local library to the rescue.

steve

1 Like

I bought a hardback copy of one of my favourite novels, J D Salinger’s ‘The Catcher In The Rye’, which was delivered yesterday.

It’s a shame that none of the (few) other things that Salinger wrote were anything approaching the brilliance of this one novel.

1 Like

Coincidence this is on my nightstand…

2 Likes

I have a gazillion (yes, that number is accurate) unread books on my bookshelf, but this one keeps coming up over and over again. Like some sort of omen. 2 good reasons I should read this instead of reading Moneyball for the 600th time? :rofl:

Astonishingly Harvard posted Austin’s lectures in Sweden (1959) to You Tube.
Audio only. Speech Act theory has a long afterlife.

3 Likes

Many thanks for this post .

A pleasure. Part 2 is posted too. I had never heard his voice, we studied ‘How to do things with words’ in the late 70s on a linguistics course.

Not a book but this analysis of Caro’s The Power Broker is a terrific listen:

A modern spy thriller … if those words seem hackneyed to you let me recommend this:

1 Like

I’ve got a 1-day course on Stonehenge with Dr Richards and co in a few weeks time so time to re-digest this…

3 Likes

I found this in a carity shop for a fiver, so I thought I’d get it.

I know from meeting her that Yoko has indeed had an incrediblle life and story, so I’m looking forward to seeing how it’s rendered here:

6 Likes

I would want to ask her about the performances she and Lennon did in the 60s with the Spontaneous Music Ensemble. At ‘Middle Earth’ I think.

1 Like

I did ask her about that stuff @Dynaudio1 but she did confess that it was a long time ago (almost 25 years at the time I spoke to her in 1992, obviously 56-plus years now) and she couldn’t remember much about it!

Her memories of her (very privileged) upbringing in Japan in the 1930s, having to flee the fireboming of Tokyo in '45 as a 12 year old, of her life in 1950s New York with John Cage and David Tudor) were very vivid.

Her stories about her childhood were especially interesting. She was born into a very high-ranking family - her grandfather was Yasuda Zenjirō and her uncle Toshikazu Kase, and she knew the future Emperor Akihito. Towards the end of the war, with her father missing (he was a POW), she and her mother were forced into bartering their possessions for food, and later on they were reduced to begging.

She was a cute kid:

9 Likes

Thanks Kevster - most interesting. I would expect that being exposed to the Tokyo firebombing would be a major unresting influence on the rest of her life. Delia Derbyshire underwent the same sort of thing in Coventry I believe.

3 Likes

Interesting a co-write with Barb Jungr.

Half way through Judas 62 at moment. I did start sometime ago but sumat else caught my attention.

If you enjoy this type of story he is a very involving author.

1 Like

Just picked up a signed copy of this one at Hinton Ampner House, Hants and enjoying reading it in the sunshine at the front of his very fine abode with superb views of the South Downs.

2 Likes

1 Like

I expect it to be as enjoyable as the previous six.

steve

4 Likes

It is.

There is supposed to be another ‘Ratcliffe’but Sansom has been ill with multiple myeloma.

1 Like