What book are you reading right now?

New author to me. Very enjoyable thriller/horror murder mystery.

steve

2 Likes

Having recently completed the 6 books in the Frank Herbert series I’m afraid I’m of the opinion that they get progressively worse as you get further into the series with ChapterHouse being the worst of the lot and the one I found a bit of a slog to finish, however I hope you enjoy the read.

1 Like

Yes I’d heard that. Will work my way through them all for the “experience” but not expecting the heights of the first three books

That’s exactly my experience. Reread the first two any number of times from the early 1970s onwards but the later ones just the once. Gave up altogether after Chapter House.

steve

1 Like

About 20% into the novel.

2 Likes

I thought her “Americanah” was brilliant. It placed as No. 27 on the recent NY Times “100 best book of this century.” I would have placed it a little higher.

1 Like

Thanks. Will place that one on my wishlist as well - finding this a good read so far.

A real page turner, I’m about halfway through….

5 Likes

Just getting into this. Guitar - Earl Slick

6 Likes

I’d read good things about this book, it was even better than expected!

The latest of Amanda Scott’s Ines Picault stories.
We start with a current investigation but it always has its roots in the past.
This time the French Resistance.

Scott also wrote a quartet of novels based upon the life of Boudicca.
Which i,hopefully,will get around to.

Kindle/Audible. The second best way yet to make sleepless nights more interesting.

2 Likes

An enthralling thriller with more twists than a case of corkscrews

steve

5 Likes

I’ve read the series. They’re all good, but the first was probably my favorite.

And they should be read in order. The first provides some backstory, which is only referenced obliquely in the subsequent novels.

1 Like

Not reading, but listening! Another 57 hours to go…

3 Likes

I can’t tell you how long that book has been sitting on my shelf unread.

Also the rather thick spine of the book has the image of a swastika. I hope nobody saw only the image and got the wrong idea.

2 Likes

A fascinating podcast series about a book:

1 Like

I read it. Every NYC resident should read it (wishful thinking, I know).

Then go on to Caro’s biography of Lyndon B. Johnson. I’ve read the first three volumes. The fourth has been out for a while. I fear Caro may not finish the fifth and final volume.

Caro’s description of LBJ’s 1948 Senate campaign makes one realize that voter fraud has a long history.

BTW - my great uncle, who was President of the Borough of Manhattan in the 40’s, gets a mention as someone who tried to resist Moses.

3 Likes

I hope the narration is good - I enjoy audio books but the choice of narrator has a big influence - especially for long tales

1 Like

Spot on - I like the preview on Audible to check out the narrator delivery.

Grover Gardner - a standard US East Coast tone!