What book are you reading right now?

This is my bedtime audio book. Werner is reading it to me - he has such a wonderful voice for narration and some great stories to tell.

5 Likes

After taking some time off serious reading while I completed a writing project, I’ve started re-reading Pynchon’s Mason & Dixon. I read it when it was first published, but to be honest, I rushed through the last third, as I was leaving for an extended trip and did not want to tote my tome around Europe. Speed reading is not the best way to tackle Pynchon. This time, I’m reading the Kindle version, which allows me to quickly jump back and forth to the Pynchon Wiki web site.

3 Likes

Thanks for reminding me.

I too read it on publication and not touched it since. Deserves a re appreciation.

steve

1 Like

7 Likes

Just started reading this. Intriguing stuff and well written!

8 Likes

4 Likes

I read “The Crimson Petal” years ago. Quite a jump to this.

1 Like

I’m afraid I haven’t read any of this author’s other work. I just came across this book in an Amsterdam book store and thought I might be an interesting read. And whilst for a book on music it is somewhat unconventional, it does open doors to some great music I might not have come across otherwise.

The Crimson Petal and the White is a novel set in Victorian England. It’s of Dickensian length and deals with Dickensian social themes (although it lacks Dickensian humor as I recall). Oh - and there’s sex. The main character is a prostitute.

Thank you.

I had forgotten this was in my Kindle library. Memory was stirred by the free to Audible members of
IMG_2386

My knowledge of the Plantagenets used to be very good. Be interesting to see how much of that learning has disappeared into the mists and fog caused by one or two less brain cells.

2 Likes

If the summary on the back cover is accurate this book should be similar to “This is your brain on music” by Daniel Levitin. Have you read that, too?

I’m afraid I have not read that. Thank you for suggesting it!

Frighteningly contemporary, as anyone who has read it will surely agree.

steve

5 Likes

Just got notice that Caro will be interviewed this November at the 92nd St. Y in NYC. These events are usually streamed.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

A whole book??? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just finished this one -

Presents a fairly convincing case for The Wirral as the location.

2 Likes

4 Likes