What book are you reading right now?

Same hear. I read this in a similar couple of days burst over the new year, an interesting book and an insight into the dumb stupidity of some people.

Have this last week or so finished these two.

jw_
A good read and a few unexpected insights & confessions from one of my favourite radio voices.

crouch
This is laugh out loud in places. Nothing taxing; if you heard his podcasts you’ll know some of the stories, but he’s a bundle of fun & life. Really enjoyed it for a bit of light pleasurable reading in front of the stereo.

After 5 failed attempts to get into this I might just give up. Some wonderful reviews but it’s just not happening. One more try maybe…
mbs

2 Likes

This was both fun and interesting to read. The novel is written as an interview between the author and a female writer for a literature supplement, both talking about a (fictional) novel with the same title.

I bought it fittingly after hearing Mr. Haas talking about his works on the radio.

Not pretentious at all, perhaps down to the Austrian humor which is a few shades blacker than most.

After the Haas novel I took a second look at this one. Unlike many from the thriller/crime genre, the second reading was still a good one. Not as neurotic as several other Japanese books I’ve read.

Amos Oz passed away a few months ago.

2 Likes

A fascinating inside account, very detailed, but very readable. Most of the important characters are still in business and will be recognised by the reader. Unfortunately, the greed and excess that the book portrays still exists today.

2 Likes

Written in 1979, this book now seems incredibly prophetic, in an age of social media, selfies, identity politics and Trump…

3 Likes

image image

Made a mistake and started with the 2nd one of Mrs Potter…, so will now take Nr. 1, all as audio books which is a nice way to drive my car…

2 Likes

Bought this one Saturday and finished it yesterday. Jørn Lier Horst is my favorite among the active writers of crime novels. Gripping plots, no buckets of blood, just as I like it.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/content/dam/prh/books/309/309513/9780241357910.jpg.transform/PRHDesktopWide_small/image.jpg

Only read the first couple of chapters so far. Interesting that in the early 1900’s the press were saying the radio is killing music as people at home were stopping playing their piano’s and having a sing song and rather tuning into the radio and listening instead.

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

judging from the cover alone, the book looks interesting. Would you mind sharing your impression of what’s inside?

Only just started it @mulberry but will report back once I’ve finished. It is more about the power of the vinyl LP as a cultural atrefact rathan than as a sound carrier.

First heard the 2nd one, now at the first one of the series

https://www.amazon.de/Ruf-Kuckucks-Roman-Cormoran-Strike-Reihe-Band/dp/3442383218/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Robert+Galbraith&qid=1553489344&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Funny Girl – Nick Hornby’s tribute to the golden age of light entertainment

In setting his seventh novel around a fictional 1960s television sitcom, Nick Hornby gives himself great scope to defend the cosy comedy at which he excels

2 Likes

Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain by Oliver Sacks

I ran into a friend at an eatery who was reading this book and he mentioned he was enjoying the book. So ordered and will give it read…

2 Likes

Finished 5 books in January but it’s taken since then to complete A History of Wales by John Davies. Magnificent read but the text was just that bit too small for my VI eyes. Could barely do a chapter a week. This shouldn’t take too long though.

I’ve just finished his book on 1971. Highly recommended.

1 Like

An oral history of the greatest band of their time, compiled by someone who was there.

1 Like

Hi Kev,
Have you started reading this yet ? It is the next book in my pile to read. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

1 Like