What book are you reading right now?

Only bought it today, @biddler66 - will start it tomorrow. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, I am off on hols the weekend and I was going to take this, but I think something a bit more uplifting is called for so will crack into it when I get back,

Mark.

1 Like

Bought this via Kindle yesterday (release day). This genre seems to be very popular at the moment. I find reading about the indomitable human spirit irresistible, despite my loathing of man’s inhumanity to man.

6 Likes

Stephen Fry at his best.

1 Like

Hi Dan,

you might want to look at this one:

I happen to like his photography.

2 Likes

Another one which has been sat on the book pile for years. I even lost it at one point but today I will start reading it.

1 Like

Having watched Liverpool since 1965, this is history that I am already familiar with, but tribal commitment (unconditional love?) knows few bounds …

2 Likes

Two biographies at the moment.

Wilfred Owen by Dominic Hibberd. I have walked over Redan Ridge on the Somme many times but hadn’t realised Owen had been there.

The second is Before Action, a biography of William Noel Hodgson who was killed at Mansell Copse near Mametz on the Somme. Again, I have explored this area in some detail. He wrote Before Action
just days before his death.

By all the glories of the day,
And the cool evening’s benison:
By the last sunset touch that lay
Upon the hills when day was done:
By beauty lavishly outpoured,
And blessings carelessly received,
By all the days that I have lived,
Make me a soldier, Lord.

By all of all men’s hopes and fears,
And all the wonders poets sing,
The laughter of unclouded years,
And every sad and lovely thing:
By the romantic ages stored
With high endeavour that was his,
By all his mad catastrophes,
Make me a man, O Lord.

I, that on my familiar hill
Saw with uncomprehending eyes
A hundred of Thy sunsets spill
Their fresh and sanguine sacrifice,
Ere the sun swings his noonday sword
Must say good-bye to all of this:—
By all delights that I shall miss,
Help me to die, O Lord.

4 Likes

I believe he is back from the moon now…

Just started the Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, the recent choice of our long running book club. So far, so rather good…

David Hepworth - 1971, Never a Dull Moment. Gratefully received as a present and only a few pages in, but really looking forward to reading more. Although I have no doubt it will add to my Discogs list and deplete my bank account looking for early pressings from the discography!

6 Likes

Just finished (library) hidden bodies by Caroline Kepnes

And started (library - Libby) the armada legacy by Scott Mariani.

I prefer a book in my hands but giving ebooks a go.
I’ll grt back to serious books later …:open_book:

the-power-and-the-glory

4 Likes

Wonderful book … GG seems to be becoming fashionable again after many years in the wilderness. “Our Man in Havana” is another recommended GG read …

Thanks. Read them all so long ago that revisiting his books is almost like a first time read.

What a fantastic book this was. Strongly recommended. Now this.

Just finished this. I struggled with the character chasing and ultimately didn’t care enough about each of them. All very clever and cleverly resolved but…

And I say all of that so as not to give anything away. Hope you enjoy it though. Well reviewed and an award winner if I recall. So obviously just me then.

D155D6E0-04F6-48AF-BDB4-F45E107588BB-184-00000015A9228A9D

Revisiting this for the nth time.
Almost believing that men are from Earth and women are either from or think they live on another planet.