What book are you reading right now?

5 Likes

Jake Arnott is a fantastic writer, and doesn’t get anywhere near the attention that he deserves. ‘The Long Firm’, in particular, is a 'tour de force;.

1 Like

Well it would be daft not to seeing as I’ve just finished Dune the first book in the series and throughly enjoyed it

Frank Herbert - Dune Messiah

5 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

I’m reading the third volume of her trilogy on Thomas Cromwell - Henry VIII period, a great writer who sadly passed away a short time ago…

2 Likes

Those Jake Arnott ‘Long Firm’ (and subsequent books) are quite wonderful stories, beautifully written, although with their fair share of blood and gore.

Highly recommended. Another few books to add to my list needing to be re-read.

2 Likes

Now up to the 7th in the Campion series. Not a dud so far. Each very different to the others.

3 Likes

Saddened to read that Christopher Fowler has died.
The author of the splendid Bryant and May Special Crimes Department novels.
An irascible and totally different pair of investigators.
Quirky and so British.

6 Likes

Went to Ely today and spent my Book Token (and quite a bit more🤦🏻‍♂️) that I got for my birthday in January.
Here is the haul. Starting on the Rickie Lee Jones this afternoon :blush:

4 Likes

Another cracking page-turner from the crimemeister. Is this the end for Rebus? Title taken from a Jackie Leven song.

7 Likes

The descent into my murky youth.

I was going to collect the physical set because of the artwork but they have all been republished with tasteful covers,so as not to offend. On kindle unlimited tho.

It’s all a matter of taste. But have a Google of McGinnis and see how much you recognise.

Should keep me quiet for a few days.

3 Likes

This is just brilliant. Very powerful and unbelievably moving, beautifully written and a very worthy successor to Shuggie Bain.

Ian McEwan, Lessons. Probably my favorite living writer. A few years ago he came to Genoa for a lectio, and he proved to be extremely courteous and friendly to sign his books and to exchange some words with his readers.

4 Likes

Haven’t read a recent sci fi for quite some time, so decided to give this a try.

3 Likes

Interesting contrast between the Beatles’ world view, and that encapsulated by the Bond books and films. Actually, I’m just a sucker for anything written about “the boys”. Come on, Mark Lewisohn, get yer finger out!

4 Likes

I’ve heard McEwan read several times in NYC. The first time was shortly after Atonement was published, but he did not read from that. Instead, he read from his work in progress, Saturday. He read from an early portion of the book, ending on a suspenseful note, looked up at the packed audience of 900, and said, “You’ll have to wait a year until you find out what comes next.”

2 Likes

Just released, by Bowie’s long time pal, Geoff MacCormack, arrived today. Really looking forward to this, it looks fab.

4 Likes

Seen some only okay reviews for this and seventy odd pages in I’m going to disagree. Given the difficulty of knowing the man I’d say it’s very decent indeed. My only criticism would be the lack of pictures given how many pictures are referenced.

2 Likes