What book are you reading right now?

Not a book but a final read of a magazine I am saying goodbye to after over 26 years subscription. The story is on the cover, four products with a total cost of over 150 grands. Tired and completely bored to read reviews of super expensive gear which I have no interest in. Decision was made easier after learning that they are upping the yearly subscription cost only by 66%.

4 Likes

Just subscribe to Readly app and find some other magazines you like to read. Stereophile is in there. My sister has a sub she shares legitimately between five of us. I have twenty four magazines (not all monthly) and it works out at £24 per year.

2 Likes

I subscribe to 3 hi hi mags (Stereophile included) and won’t be renewing any other them. Feel they’re becoming relevant.

2 Likes

There’s an argument they always were but this whole discussion is way OT for this thread.

2 Likes

Just finished reading this, easy and enjoyable read.

3 Likes

Just started the 3rd trilogy in this series that makes it book 7 since Feb. Just can’t put them down.

Here’s some recommended high fantasy if you are looking for the good stuff.

Fantasy series Author #Books
The Hobbit J R R Tolkien 1
Lord of the Rings J R R Tolkien 3
Harry Potter J K Rowling 7
Game of thrones George R R Martin 7
Shannara chronicles Terry Brooks 21
Wheel of time Robert Jordan 14
Mistborn Brandon Sanderson 3
Wax & Wayne Brandon Sanderson 3
Malazan Steven Erickson 10
Storm light archive (1) Brandon Sanderson 7
Farseer trilogy Robin Hobb 3
Live ship traders Robin Hobb 3
5 Likes

As recommended by Sideshow Bob from the Dynaudio team last Friday at the Audio Show East.
Just started it this morning :nerd_face:
Currently out of print, but copies available at the usual auction site😉

3 Likes

I can recommend this: The Worm Ouroboros - Wikipedia

Somewhat of a forgotten classic.

steve

2 Likes

Copies remain available far and wide including that well known sort of bookseller online. I read this when first published and recommend it.

1 Like

Read them all, excellent series.

Picked this up from our hotel book share while on holiday in Lanzarote, a political thriller centred around a new American President and the climate crisis set in the not too distant future, a bit of a slow burner for the first half but from then on it was a page turner as the tension between America and China the worlds worst emitters of CO2 builds to a terrifying conclusion, great stuff!!

1 Like

4 Likes

Francis Spufford Light Perpetual Faber, 2021. A well-written novel which describes the imagined lives of five children who are supposed to have died when a V2 fell on Woolworths in 1944. Spufford describes one day in their lives at 15 year intervals from 1944 until 2009. Jo is a musician, her sister Val takes up with a Neo-Nazi. Alec becomes a typesetter on The Times, then a headteacher. Ben is a bi-polar bus conductor (his breakdown is frightening) saved by his relationship with an African woman. Vern is a dishonest property developer who eats himself to death. Their lives and the plot are interconnected. Britain changed dramatically through these years.

The book is a meditation upon life and death: ‘They are all gone into the world of light.’ Henry Vaughan. The author is an Anglican, but with a light touch. He doesn’t preach or patronise. Engaging story with some stylistic flourishes, especially the V2 explosion.

4 Likes

May I add
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
Stephen Donaldson
9 books

8 Likes

I have put that on my Kindle price watch app.

A V fell about a quarter of a mile from our house when I was 4 years old so I am sure,as ‘’I haven’t gone into the world of light’’ yet. (What a wonderful phrase) I will enjoy seeing how my life compares.

2 Likes

And Joe Abercrombie’s collection of rogues.
David Gemmell.
Mark Lawrence.

2 Likes

Read the 1st six back in the day when they came out. Enjoyed them then, but tried to read them again a few years ago and just couldn’t get invested in them…:man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I hope you enjoy it Nick. Sometimes reading about a historical period one has lived through can seem a little false. I’m a 50s child, so I don’t remember the war, nor have I lived in South London. Those V2s must have frightened people.

I have his Coleridge picked up secondhand. I have yet to do more than dip into it. Looks promising.

To be honest m’lud

I loved the first 4,
got bogged down in 5
then read 6 in a weekend. Probably the first book I eagerly awaited for its publication

Have a very well thumbed set of the first 6.

7, read twice, and it sits on the bookshelf alongside 8 which I cant even remember finishing 9 is still on the bookshop.

Mordaunt’s Need I have just had a similar experience with as you . Read them many times through the years when they first came out. Tried the first one again a couple of months ago and it’s now in the charity pile

1 Like