What book are you reading right now?

Why? Rereading to cheer myself up after having lost our cat to cancer this morning…

steve

2 Likes

Have to say the Karl Bartos book was a real grower. Need some cheering fiction now though :slight_smile:

IMG_4005

Always worth re-reading in turbulent times such as these:

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that, pal. It’s never easy.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s appreciated.

steve

1 Like

Losing a pet is difficult, take care.

2 Likes

Thank you.

steve

1 Like

Quite a fast moving thriller. Large print really easy on the eyes too :laughing:

You can’t beat a bit of Reacher for pool side holiday reading on a very lovely day in Costa Teguise Lanzarote

3 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed her writing, have read Sea Of Tranquillity and Station Eleven also.

I’m a sucker for a spy thriller. Allbeury is new to me, but I heard a dramatisation of one his books on the BBC last which led me to this. I like his style.

I really enjoyed that and might follow a similar path.

He was an interesting guy - Special Ops in the war, Cold War spy captured in East Germany then ran pirate radio station Radio 390.

1 Like

Frederick Forsyth meets John Le Carre

4 Likes

2 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed this, after hearing its author on the excellent ‘Cautionary Tales’ podcast from Tim Harford.

I do play poker, and an interest is certainly needed to enjoy the book, but no more than than that.

1 Like

His Elvis books were definitive. His Sweet Soul Music remains one of the great books on any genre of music.

2 Likes

They were.

Brilliantly written, immaculately-researched account of the horrors of Mao’s Cultural Revolution. Has one man ever inflicted so much suffering, misery and cruelty upon so many people as the despotic Mao?

2 Likes

Is it any good?

It’s a good book. It has high density of information though, so the book reads slow. I can read max 20 pages a day.