What book are you reading right now?

Finished and I have to say that’s right up there with the best fiction I’ve read in decades. Would make a potential;y terrific TV series or even a film.

Now onto this.

1 Like

IMG_3585

A US Marine fighter pilot’s fascinating tale taking place in Vietnam of 1966.

3 Likes

I just finished a long writing project, and I can’t read serious literature while I write. I’ve promised myself Europe Central is next, but Birnam Wood after that.

1 Like

Just finished this and, as usual with this series, an excellent read.

steve

4 Likes

We are promised an eighth Shardlake in August. Ratclif.

The two independent novels Dominion and Afternoon in Madrid are also well worth reading.

3 Likes

4 Likes

It would be good if the Beeb did another radio adaptation of one of the series. They made a fine job of Dissolution.

steve

I believe Disney+ now have an option on the series.

1 Like

Wow, such good news, thanks!

Glad to learn a new book may be forthcoming. I last read about how seriously ill CJ Sansom had become and feared for the worst. Best wishes to him for good health and happier days to come.

I also just read an article from end of March that lists the cast (Arthur Hughes as Shardlake; Sean Bean as Cromwell) and says filming for Disney+ has already started.

Lastly, there appear to be six full-cast BBC R4 plays (check out archive.org for info and access).

Very nice to discover this today as I’m a huge fan of these great novels, which I first heard about in this most excellent of threads!

2 Likes

Finished the book on Charlie Watt earlier today, what a legend. Already a 1/3 the way the book on Springsteen’s Nebraska

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Nebraska book - I read Warren Zanes’ biography of Tom Petty and enjoyed it very much.

Peter

Ditto. Added to my wish list a few days back after reading about it in Mojo or Uncut. I like Zanes and his bands first couple of albums were terrific. His writing and other activities have a great reputation.

1 Like

Like the Petty book it is well informed and well written, a very easy and interesting read so far…

1 Like

Was listening to their Best of today…some cracking songs

1 Like

Just finished the latest book from Mick Herron in the Slow Horses series. Although this is the eighth, they just keep on getting better. He manages to combine a riveting spy thriller, a savage satire on our current political masters and a laugh out loud comedy (rather like a Tom Sharpe story) into a coherent whole. Just brilliant

7 Likes

Given that this epic (900+) book was written by a Ukrainian Jew, and is set in the turmoil of the Second World War, it seems apposite to give it a re-read, especially given what is currently happening in Grossman’s country of birth.

When I first read this as a young man, some 40 years ago, it was because someone I admired told me: “If you want to be considered a serious person, you need to read this”. It is the greatest and most important book of the 20th century (along with Ulysses, Dr Zhivago, À La Recherche de Temps Perdu and Nineteen Eighty-Four), but it is hardly read these days – a great pity. If you have the energy, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5 Likes

I haven’t actually started it yet, but it’s sitting there winking at me (me, not men!)

1 Like

It’s been dramatised for radio by the BBC. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 Like

You’ve sold me, Kev. Just ordered a copy from Waterstones.

1 Like