What book are you reading right now?

And a premium for unsigned copies. :grinning:

We have a number of signed copies………mostly got from DiscworldCon 2010 when Sir T would sign two books (the family all stood in line, each with two of my cherished hardbacks :laughing: )

And d@mn sure, they ain’t going on eBay!!!

2 Likes

Oh well done :+1:

@PaperPlane @steviebee – Good to see people reading Arthur Koestler, a hero of mine growing up and – for all sorts of reasons – little read or studied today. Darkness At Noon is his best book, but if you’re enjoying the works you’re sampling, may I recommend The Gladiators, Arrival & Departure, Spanish Testament, The Ghost In The Machine and The Lotus & The Robot?

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations. Will keep an eye out.

steve

1 Like

Wilco. The Sleepwalkers has been a rivetting read, beautifully written.

1 Like

Apologies for the late response. I was busy reading this first.

It was, er, really good actually. She’s a screen writer from Schitt’s Creek amongst other things and there are multiple great one liners.

I read the Dan Zanes whilst on a cruise and I must admit my expectations were low. Fully expected it to be one of those thirty three and a third things. How wrong can you be. I’m a fan of the superb first Del Feugos album which features the author asa young man but the young man has grown into a terrific author. He achieves what I believe all great music writing should do and makes you want to put the book down and listen to the album. I should perhaps have anticipated this but didn’t. So, back home again it’s going to get several listens, especially as I finally demo a new amp. There are few essential books about Springsteen. This is absolutely one of them./

1 Like

Well researched and written with the author’s usual humour.

4 Likes

Reading an old favourite…

…or two!

I generally am reading 2 to 4 books at any one time. Unless I’m reading Dune or The Lord of the Rings, as these take up all my processing ability…:man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it Mike - his biography of Tom Petty is terrific as well.

1 Like

I reread the Foundation Trilogy a while ago and was surprised just how dated it was and off the mark in so many areas.

steve

1 Like

Finished Europe Central. Now taking a break with a mystery.

Never read anything by her, but I thought I should when I discovered she lives two floors above me.

1 Like

This is getting some terrible reviews. Even The Graun didn’t like it. I was curious to see whether it is really that bad. It is!

4 Likes

One of the best books that came out of that war. A tale of a helicopter pilot who flew over a thousand missions in Vietnam with a great insight and awareness of what the local population was going through.

4 Likes

An excellent book by an extremely sagacious man

4 Likes

Agree re Chickenhawk :+1:t3:

Topical.

But the Observer loved it…

They have to find some way to differentiating themselves from The Groan, I suppose. To the irredeemably middlebrow and bourgeois Graun/Obs hack, everything is “brave”.

Samadder’s cliche-ridden screed is the only positive review I think I’ve read. Interestingly, the Times hated it – and Moran’s one of their star columnists!

This assessment, by the fabulous Kathleen Stock, is spot-on I think:

Next up…

4 Likes