What book are you reading right now?

A charmer

2 Likes

Just finished this and found it wide ranging but odd. Lincoln In The Bardo it was not.
IMG_4162

Have now moved onto this. Fifty pages in and it’s rather uncomfortable but brilliantly written and compelling. Weirdly I cannot find an example of the cover I have on the internet.

Just finished:-

Thanks to @David for bringing this to my attention. Really enjoyed it, well researched and argued, another excellent book by Warren Zanes.

@mikehughescq - Mike did you take the plunge? It’s well worth it.

Peter

3 Likes

Sort of. I’ve been gifted it for Fathers Day. Currently in the middle of a fascinatingly challenging book so I’m saving it for a cruise ship in a few weeks time. I always take a couple of books away with me with the best of intentions but rarely get through more than one.

1 Like

Let us know what you think of it when you finally get around to it.

1 Like

Running through Sir Terry’s “Discworld” series in chronological order. Just about to start “Thud!”.

3 Likes

Such a shame as the disease progresses you can see its impact . It was like losing a dear friend

I was glad he managed to progress Tiffany Aching and complete the Granny Weatherwax arc

2 Likes

Yeah, but the whole family (all avid readers and huge fans) were totally stunned by page 35 of “Shepherd’s Crown”. We had not expected that!

2 Likes

I hadn’t either

As opposed to my usual diet of murder mysteries and Pratchett rereads.

steve

2 Likes

IMG_1871
IMG_1872

Shaun runs a large second hand book shop in Wigton,Scotland.
The trials,tribulation and answers to many stupid enquiries.
Engagingly miserable but with a decent social life.
I obtained them from my library having been severely admonished by Shaun for ever switching on my Kindle.

I bought this as a present for a friend. A wonderful short story about skepticism.

And am reding this:

A gift from my former wife, much appreciated.

2 Likes

The Sleepwalkers
Arthur Koestler

Fascinating history of cosmology and astronomy from Ptolemy onward, through Copernicus, Kepler and that cad Galileo…

3 Likes

Best book I’ve read for quite a while. harrowing (very) but inspiring read.

2 Likes

How Green Was My Valley - Richard Llewellyn

Finally, after it sitting winking at me in my to-read list for years, I picked it up with a sigh. More fool me; It’s poignant, rich, beautiful, lyrical and emotional.

5 Likes

Now moving on to:

3 Likes

Did Eric have a different publisher ? For some reason I always think of it as bing slightly out of kilter in some way.

I love Cohen The Barbarian

Ian

1 Like

My brother recommended this and I recognise some of the experiences related here from my 20 years in Eastern Europe, but this story is riveting and an eye opener, although not surprising.

1 Like

No it’s Victor Gollanz, like other TP from Equal Rites as far as The Last Continent, when the publisher was switched to Doubleday - note that this is for the “original” and “letterbox” hardback editions.

My Eric is a “coffee table sized” illustrated hardback, of similar size to The Last Hero (also Gollanz). You can also get it in same size softback (illustrated) & unillustrated paperback format. The hardback version is relatively uncommon, and hence usually comes adorned with a high price tag - I’ve seen them up around £400 for an unclipped copy in cough pristine, mint condition!

2 Likes